• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What exactly is kata?

BKJ1216

Hon-Shin-Do is a style of Martial Art with old roots in Okinawan Shorie Ryu. Translated it means "Way of the true heart". Hanshi Leo Kozloski (9th degree black belt) wrote the words and is also the founder of the U.S. Academy of the Martial Arts and Hon-Shin-Do. Hanshi Leo has over 37 years experience and trained under Master John Pachivas and has also worked with Master Trias and Ken Ogawa (all Japan in 1972 in the style of GoJu). I would say he is well in his right to voice his opinion on kata. He has now formed the U.S. Christian Academy of Martial Arts. I have trained under him for the past 3 1/2 yrs. and feel very fortunate to have the oprotunity to learn from this man. Oh well, enough from me. If you would like to know more check out our web site http://www.crossroadsnewnan.org/martialarts.asp

Respectfully yours,

Greg

"If your hand goes forth withhold your temper"

"If your temper goes forth withold your hand"

-Gichin Funakoshi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Well see I'm sitting here thinking that they are the actually moves of karate. I've heard people say like shotokan has 26 katas or something, I thought that meant that's how many moves there are and you need 26 to be 1st dan or something like that.

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

It is not the number of moves that are stressed in a kata it is more of a training exercise in how to combine moves.

Say take a hammerfist, downblock,center punch, head block, shuto and put them together in one order you have Heian shodan.