• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Judging instruction.

BKJ1216

Well I'm going on a tour of the two main dojos in my town pretty soon. I'd like to know is there anything I could do there to get an idea of how good the instruction is? Everyone is telling me to go with the style that has the best instruction, and well so I was wondering is there anything I could do to judge the instruction without jumping back and forth from schools trying to find the right one once I get started. Alright thanks for your help.

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Look to see that the techniques of the higher belts are better than those of the lower belts. Look to see if the students who need correction are getting it.

Decide why you want to train and see if the what the students are being taught and how they are training match the reason you want to learn.

Say everyone is doing a kata and one student turns the opposite direction from everyone else. Or the way someone is executing a technique looks a bit different that the way those of the same rank look. Is somone goofing around? Things like that.

The most important thing I look for in selecting a place to train is the "atmosphere." It should be disciplined, firm, but supportive. Rather like a family, with the patriarch (or matriarch) a firm, but caring individual, and the elder "siblings" interested in teh well being of the juniors.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

• 4 weeks later...

The following suggestions will assist you in selecting a self-defense program or a martial arts school to further your education, skills, and address your personal goals.

Study the Instructor. What are the qualities that you see in the instructor that you would like to acquire? What is the instructor’s teaching style, communication skill, and reward system?

Watch the Students: Their experiences will reflect in their participation, demeanor, interaction with others, and overall attitude.

School Focus: The focus of the head instructor, school, and style maybe on tournaments, training discipline, health and fitness, philosophy or self defense.

Once you have identified several likely candidates attend some classes as an observer and a participant. Most programs should let you watch or even tryout a class session for free. Then you can make a more informed decision.

"Persistence outweighs natural ability."

"If we were interested in using brute force alone it would not be karate."

Watch how the instructor intereacts with the students. Does he/she just stand up there and "bark orders" or do they go hands on and physically correct mistakes and demonstrate applications of techniques? If it is a childrens class is there a positive learning enviroment and are the kids having fun? How many classes does he/she teach per week? Sometimes you can get stuck with a different instructor than the one you thought you were going to have.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

When I started karate I felt the same as you. I was clueless to what was good instruction and what wasn't.

I went to Aikido for a short time and I thought I'd be clueless there too in judging the instruction, but to my surprise, it was quite easy. Some things to look out for are:

-whether everyone is doing the technique the same way or not (allowing for the lower ranks to be looking a bit different to everyone as they're just beginners). If everyone is just doing their own thing it probably doesn't say much for the club or its instructors.

-watch for whether people who need help are getting help. There's no point joining a club that expect you to wander around absolutely cluelessly.

-watch if people are being injured excessively. Obviously injuries are expected in the martial arts, but if people are being injured seriously and constantly then you might be best looking somewhere else.

-ensure that the instructor's methods of teaching appeal to you. If you're quiet and shy you probably don't want to be yelled at by a drill seargent of an instructor. If you know you've got a habit of being lazy and laid-back, then you probably don't want a gentle and encouraging instructor that will let you away with laziness.

-watch for how people react to one another within a club. You're there to train first and foremost, so you don't want to go to a club where all they seem to do is chat. On the other hand, though, you don't want to be stuck in a club where no one talks to anyone and the atmosphere is awkward and strained.

-ASK QUESTIONS!! Its awkward and embarrassing, I know, but its something I wish I'd done. Grill everyone and anyone who is willing to talk to you. Ask about the instructors credentials, the attitudes of instructors, belt tests, payment options, whether you will be given the chance to participate in competitions (if you're interested in that) or whether participation in competitions is mandatory etc. I asked questions of one person when I started aikido and he told me the instructor was usually a complete drill seargent who was hard on the pupils and extrememly unfriendly. I didn't believe him because the instructor was doing his best to be nice to me, but it turned out the student was right. The very next week I seen the bad side to the instructor.

Good luck! :karate:

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

it's kinda hard to make the decission. You must take into account: your feelings towards the dojo (simply ... do you like to be there?), the atmosphere (sensei& students, seniors&juniors, and so on), the work they do (does it look like a barbeque or a serious class :)) ... and many other pieces to complete your puzzle.

It's good you have the time to shop around. Do it with care and then get to work. Once you're in a dojo your only care should be doing all you can to learn the stuff.

it'll be OK.

Good luck 12th of May is closer than you think :D