• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Throws and sweeps

I am quite new to TKD and have a few simple questions -

1. Are there are throws or grappling in TKD, I know my training is only beginning but later on is there an oppurtunity to learn throws etc. that are a part of TKD?

2. Are there matches that allow for the use of leg sweeps in sparring?

Thanx in advance!

Gelmir

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Well lets see... speaking solely about my TKD school (as they all differ) there are sweeps taught at 5th gup, 4th, and 3rd that are part of our "normal" training. There is one throw that we do at 3rd gup. That's just required material. The instructor will usually go over joint locks, wrist grabs/escapes, escapes from head locks, grabs from behind, escape from a mount position (I had to ask for that one though), and a few other types of situations. Having said that, I still wouldn't want to get taken to the ground. Not enough practice there on my part.

"Jita Kyoei" Mutual Benefit and Welfare

My club has guests come in and do seminars. Recently we had a seminar with some Jiu Jitsu people and they showed us a lot of throws and other techniques (arm bars and stuff) which was really great. Unfortunately, at the moment, the club where I train has a hard floor, so takedowns must be done carefully. That suits me though, since I have a back injury which will probably never be fixed, so I don't like to hit the deck.

Throws aren't really a part of the what we do where I train, but we are encouraged to use what works for us. Of course, some of the people I train with have studied Judo and other martial arts and everyone shares what they know. Advanced students can partake in sparring using throws takedowns and locks, but only if both people want to.

Best thing would be to ask for it if you want to learn it...

Yes... my school teaches ground defense. It is very good training too, though I have not had to use it, I am confident that I could. It is becoming a reflex more than an action now.

Fury

~Traing in Songham TaeKwonDo since 2001~