• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Keeping the Faith.

I dont know about you, but sometimes its hard to see where your training it going (especially in the internal arts). I have been practing Aikido now for about a year and going for my 4th Kyu on Sunday. Resently, although my passion for Aikido has been unwavering, I have worried about its martial effectiveness. It is easy to see where such apparently effective martial arts get there motivation. I felt like this until yesterday.

Yesterday, was nothing all that special. No real change to our normal lesson, other than the fact that we had a different commity member (6th-8th Dan) take our class. My normal Sensei, usually gives very little away, but like I said earilier this can be a little dishearting, but I think in some ways she is testing us.

However, this other Sensei, was for lack of a better word, amazing. The first time I have every feared for the safety of my limbs. :lol: Dont get me wrong he is no bully, but lets be frank, this is not snooker we are studying, this is martial arts, more specifially Aikido. He did the basic Aikido technique on me (ikkyo) and I was amazed at how quickly a got to the mat and the pain in my shoulder was endless. As he did this to me from a full nelson submission hold which I had on with all my strength. It was like the guy had no bones!

So my point is, do you guys sometimes think, OH MY GOD, this stuff just does not work. And then get a sharp knock back into reality.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yeah, I totally get what you're saying.

I thought that with Aikido the first few times I sat and watched a class and when I first took part I was pretty amazed that all the moves just weren't pretty fancy dance steps!

I also felt that way with mawashi geris in karate, until I actually practiced them and almost knocked my dad on his butt with one by accident.

That's the great thing about the martial arts in my mind-the way that you can prove yourself wrong all the time! :karate:

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

I think most of us do have the good luck to get occasional glimpses of how effective what we are trying to learn can really be. It is those occasional glimpses that can really motivate.

That is why I love traditional arts. Yeah it takes time and work but when you cross that bridge you are a mean cookie.

Shotokan is much the same you see the speed and power a 5'5 150lbs 60 year old can have your just in amazement.

Did you thank him for beating you up?

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

There are times when a technique just isn't working for me and I'm getting so frustrated it isn't funny. Of course, that just makes things worse and it gets harder to work with the specific technique. Then I'll just give up on it, not care if it is 100% right or not, and just let it flow. Almost every time I pull it off exactly like I'm supposed to and it's all good.

No, I did not thank him. Although when he got out of my full nelson, I had the biggest smile, a sort of amazed smile like this one :D

......... then he took me to the mat, and the smile when away.......... well on the outside anyway........ :lol:

Happened some times :) When I began studying Shotokan I was kinda clumsy and all techniques looked pretty, but that was all for me. I never thought I could do someting with them. Then I hit my ex with a easy contact mae geri. He was on the floor. As I kicked with koshi ("tiger's paw") I felt NOTHING and he was down. In other ocasion I put a decent and controlled gyaku zuki on another guy. Same reaction. Gee ... it works !

And after that i hit my instructor in a sparring session. It was with gloves and I could hit hard. Great feeling.

I take some defence classes too and I study all kinds of grappling techniques. When I put her on the mat I thought again ... Wow Works I'm great (she's 20 lbs heavier :D )

It feels great to discover you can do some tings other just dream about and that given some time all styles prove effective. It's all sweat

Used to happen to me, when I was still under black belt. Doesn't really ever get me concerned any more. I know now it's always me, and not the technique.

I do, however, see that kind of look on my daughter. She is just about 14, and is starting to use her techniques "for real". She had been allowed to just go through the motions to learn the correct angles, ets. However, now that I'm getting her ready for her series of BB tests, I'm forcing her to throw me for real. I'm 6', 200lbs. She sometimes thinks I'm faking it, but then I throw her so she can feel the sensation of either fall or be broken. :cry: When she does get a good throw in on me, I can see that look of amazement. She can't believe she really threw someone my size. :o

Edited by SBN Doug

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.