• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Goshin-Ryu Karate

Kunoichi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

There was an earlier thead on Goshin ryu. Here is the link.

http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=64816&highlight=&sid=959ad1a63b12b55b0bdff3b0c3521797#64816

And I did a short search for information on goshin ryu. Some of the websites made it look very similar to shotokan and there was one that had more in common with goju.

That is not a style that is brought up here often. What can you tell us about what you are learning?

Someone told me the Goshin-Ryu style was popular in New Jersey, where I live.

The style is an Okinawan style comprised of the four major styles: Shorin-Ryu, Gojo-Ryu, Uechi-Ryu and Issin-Ryu. We utilize techniques from hard and soft styles.

We also use an assortment of self defense techniques, elements of Ju-Jitsu, Judo and Aikido throws. Pressure point and joint locking maneuvers are taught. We also do ground Fighting.

Some of the training I have done so far include: Kata, kumite, mat work, heavey bag training and self defense drills.

I'm really enjoying it and test for my yelllow belt on Monday!

"The Deadly Flower"

• 3 weeks later...

well, i am new here, actually i am a true blue goshin-ryu karateka. i m a from malaysia, which said to be the true root of goshin-ryu. goshin-ryu is more of a style which incorporates shotokan and shito-ryu. though we do learn a few goju-ryu and wado-ryu katas in higher belts.

:idea:

here's a list of our katas for white to black grading:

taikyoku shodan

heian shodan

heian nidan

heian sandan

heian yondan

heian godan

bassai-dai

jion

enpi

all the katas above are shotokan katas. so go figure out for urself about our art. goshin-ryu is quite a big style in malaysia, a few of our very successful karatekas participated in WKF.

do visit my site, which is a small-scaled website i made for my school's dojo

perhaps u guys could provide me with a few american links on goshin-ryu karate......

to penetrate a fortress

Hi yongchoi welcome to the forum. You forgot to give us the link to your website.

The list of katas you provided does look much like shotokan. Do you also do the naihanchi or tekki katas at some point?

my web add. is https://www.sxikarate.freeurl.com

As far as i m concern the tekki katas were once practised by our style, but then the tekkis are no longer practised, as our instructor introduces more shito-ryu katas to us.

here's a list some other katas taught:

kankui-dai

kanku-sho

unsu

sanchin

seianchin

gojushiho-sho

gojushiho-dai

shito-ryu bassai-dai

saifa

to penetrate a fortress