• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Mind Vs. Body

There's a tricky post here...hummm...here's my opinion

Even if you have the biggest baddest weapon that ever existed, if you don't know how to make it work, it's useless. BUT, a dumb person with a loaded gun can still be deadly.

Dunno if you guys get the meaning of that.

"I am the greatest. Not only do I knock em out, I pick the round!" - Muhammad Ali

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a female martial artist I have a question for you guys. I am 5"5in 140lbs, and I lift and do cardio three times per week, so if it is just physical why would I continue to train in martial arts?

I am 5'6 and 150 lbs.

The Martial Arts are about cultivating the physical aspects of what you're doing into whatever you may be doing outside of the art itself.

It is not about strength, or being the best you can be physically.

You balance your efforts between the right mental training, along with the physical training that best suits you.

The Martial Arts are about learning how to fight, when to fight, what it takes to be a good fighter, who to fight, and so on.

This (combat or fighting skill) is the most important aspect of Martial Art training, but it is not the only one.

The typical after effect or complimentary effect is that you get into physical and mental shape in a manner not similar to aerobics, running, swimming, or weightlifting.

You train your mind and your emotions. You learn to adapt to many different situations. You learn how to use your hands, feet, arms, and mind in combat, while understanding the best way to resolve conflict is with your mind.

You train your mind to be relaxed and prepared.

That is, it doesn't just react, it is proactive. But, it does so just as quickly as it would reactively.

We train our bodies to be reactive to a given stimulia.

We build on skill, strategy, tactics, physical endurance, strength, as we move toward healing ourselves, and balancing ourselves psychologically, and physiologically.

What the mind forgets, the body remembers.

The body tends to take over in a physical situation. That is, during a fight, many people turn to being 90 percent physical, and 10 percent mental.

Some people say that they draw a blank, or do not recall exactly what happened during a conflict.

However, with proper training this could be avoided, as complete control should neither sway toward the mind or the body.

Just some extra thoughts...Later!

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

wooooow...

"I am the greatest. Not only do I knock em out, I pick the round!" - Muhammad Ali

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

Hello there fellow martial artists, I was here reading alot of the forums here, and I thought I should get some other peoples insights. I'm obviously new to the forums, but I would like to post this Topic for you fighters to discuss. I have my own opinion on what i think the martial arts is about, however i love hearing others on what they think whether or not I agree with them or not.

The mind versus the body. what do you people, martial artist actually, think on this subject matter? Both are obviously very much important to martial atis, but which one is more important in your personal philosophies? Is a solid body with powerful muscles and a six foot height more to a fighters advantage? Or is it the understanding of martial arts and the intellectual part that goes into a fight and training that is more important?

I have my own opinions on this, however i want to hear from others. I also do not want to wade the thoughts of others. All I feel as the Topic presenter, that i should only present the topic. I feel there are no wrong answers, that each persons' thoughts are to be considered. I'm very anxious to here some responces from my fellow martial artists.

-SW, CrazyAZNRocker

There is no separation between mind & body. That's at least the goal of the martial art I practice. The body needs to be strong enough to handle the demands of the mind. The mind needs to be focused enough to lead the chi through the body.