• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ever think about quitting because of injuries?

Yeah...I keep thinking that if I ever broke my arm, I'd continue to train in a cast, using just the good arm.

===================

When cornered, kick 'em in the spetznats. If that doesn't work, run around acting like an epilept + flail your arms about while whizzin' in your pants, then fall down foaming at the mouth. They'll be so disgusted THEY will walk away from the fight....

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After the head injury two years ago I contemplated it for a week, or so, but I am too dumb to quit! :D

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

About two years ago (when I was a green belt) I had a pretty bad problem with my hips...they grinded together a lot, popped in and out of joint, and were very painful. I went to a doctor and I was seriously worried that I'd be ordered to quit MA...but then the joys of physical therapy! Ok so it was supremely boring, but it got me back in class. :)

It still bothers me sometimes, but I'm fully functioning now ;)

Then, last May I got kicked in the eyeball...thought I was going to have to wear an eyepatch for the rest of my life. Actually, I thought I was going to die :dead: , but I figured if I survived, the eyepatch was sticking around :lol: It healed with time, although not completely. Still some minor problems involved. What surprised me about the situation was that I never once thought about quitting. :lol: Probably because I figured I wouldn't make it through the night :lol: But even then, I never thought about quitting.

Most recently, my opthamologist (with his lovely bedside manner :roll: ) rather bluntly told me I had diabetes. It turns out I didn't, but it took 2 weeks to find that out. :( Of course, diabetics have to be very careful about their feet, and being barefoot is usually a no-no. I figured that meant TKD was also a no-no...Mom then reminded me of MA shoes :)

As it turned out, I wouldn't need them anyway. :D

So yes, there were times when I thought that I would be FORCED to quit by an injury...whether it was the doctor's decision, or my parents'. But I never thought I would quit because of the pain. I always sought out a solution. Remember: Doctors are good! Even after my opthamologist made that rather premature claim, I still visit doctors...frequently :dead:

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

One of the instructors at the Uni club in Maryland has a whole laundry list'o'meds that he takes for a whole laundry list'o'medical problems (CAD, NIDDM, etc...), but he still practices and still teaches. he often says that he will quit when they are zipping him into a body bag!

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

Sadly I have been injured twice through MA - going through one injury right now. I have got an injury to my back that I sustained in my second ever groudfighting lesson!

I have considered it but there is still a few things I can do to train. It will just take time and patience and MA has taught me plenty of that!!

Melanie

---------------

Be nice if I get this right one day...

Learning Martial Arts is more than just being able to execute a technique. If an injury did occur to which you wouldn't be able to "practice physically" for a brief time, you can still learn about the arts. Books can be read, forum postings, it may even be a good time to write down your thoughts and clean up your notebook. Just look as to what Bruce Lee accomplished when he was injured.

Quit because of injuries?

Spear wound to abdomen.

Knife wound to forearm.

Severed tendons in strong hand from katana.

Damaged ligaments in strong foot.

Bruises from sticks, poles, and metal rods.

4" Machete wound to right shin.

Blood blisters galore on fingers.

Luckily, no broken bones.

I won't quit. It's too much a part of my soul. My body suffers because of the choices of the spirit. Each injury teaches me something new.

MA.

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." Einstein

I think that I would quit if I received an injury due to sloppy teaching, a jerk instructor, students who are allowed to misbehave and rough house, or some other reason. If I didn't execute a technique properly or it was just an accident, no way. The sad truth is that some people don't know the difference between showing, teaching, training, and fighting. Those people are the ones to watch out for if you want to avoid injury.

Know thyself.

amp,

That is an excellent point. But something along those lines wouldn't make me quit martial arts all together, just find a new school.

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." Einstein