• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ever think about quitting because of injuries?

Last night's test was bad. My almost healed rib was re-injured. I sprained my shoulder for the second time. Thumb was crushed while holding a board for someone attempting a break. My gut is now rotting away from all the Motrin I've consumed and I'm sick of ice bags. Is it all worth it? Is there a limit a person reaches where they second guess the benefits to martial arts?

It's happy hour somewhere in the world.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I never thought of quiting because of injuries. We had breaking week this past week. My poor fingers got kicked, at least, six times (four by the same person). I also pulled my hammies four different times (three on the same leg).

I was "second guessing" my dojang, though. I almost quit three different times. After a disappointing class last night, I didn't go today.

I don't doubt the martial arts. What makes me squeamish is instructors who think their art is the s***, and it's their way or no way.

Ok. I'll shut up now. I'll go off topic if I don't ;)

Laurie F

Dont quit it if you love it. Just find another Art that doesnt seem like you will kill yourself trying to study it. :)

-SoulAssassin

"I aint gonna eat, I aint gonna sleep, aint gonna breath till I see what I wanna see and what I wanna see is you goto asleep, in the dirt permanently"

I recently came back to martial arts after a 3 year hiatus to have my wrist rebuilt. I was absolutely miserable not being able to train and couldn't even watch MA on tv or read my trade journals because I thought I would never be able to go back. I will never be able to do all the things I used to but I'm back.... and HAPPY!!! :D

Once it is part of your life you just can't get away from it!!!!

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

i personally only considered it when i just started, but now its great...even if i broke every bone in my body i'd try to go back again. :P

red belt-American Tae Kwon Do

"Men have little to fear but fear itself."

Ibuprofin is really hard on the stomach. It is often understated how irritating it is; never take it on an empty stomach.

I think anyone who encounters a serious struggle in their training contemplates stopping. It is hard to explain but simple at the same time. That is how you figure out how much you really want whatever it is you are training for. Does that make any sense.

Ended my Football playing days.

Never would quit karate for anything. Despite any injury it is possilbe to train and learn.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."