• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tang Soo Do - Ranking System

I hear every school has there own system of belts and we all know certain belt colors mean you are a 'certain rank'. I talked to a friend and his belt system was different then mine and he also studied Tang Soo Do..

My School: White, Yellow, Orange, Green, Purple, Blue, Red, Brown, Black

Every belt needed to have 3 stripes to progress.

Friends school: White, Yellow, Green, Purple, Blue, Brown, Red, Black

Only certain belts needed certain amount of stripes to progress.

This doesnt seem right to me. Anyone know if there is a set system?

-SoulAssassin

"I aint gonna eat, I aint gonna sleep, aint gonna breath till I see what I wanna see and what I wanna see is you goto asleep, in the dirt permanently"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

When I did Tang Soo Do, the ranks went like this:

white

yellow (for kids .... adults skipped this one)

orange

green

blue (where I stopped)

brown

purple

red

midnight blue

black

It's not really weird. It's depends on the instructor or system. There are several styles of TSD. Most of them are the same, but a few are different. The style can be the same, but the belt ranking can be different. So there's many factors on how each instructor "ranks" his/her students.

P.S. I'm moving this to Korean arts. This is more of a Korean arts question than a general question.

Laurie F

*rubs his eyes* i think i need glasses i didnt see the korean forums hehe sorry :lol:

-SoulAssassin

"I aint gonna eat, I aint gonna sleep, aint gonna breath till I see what I wanna see and what I wanna see is you goto asleep, in the dirt permanently"

When I did Tang Soo Do, the ranks went like this:

white

yellow (for kids .... adults skipped this one)

orange

green

blue (where I stopped)

brown

purple

red

midnight blue

black

It's not really weird. It's depends on the instructor or system. There are several styles of TSD. Most of them are the same, but a few are different. The style can be the same, but the belt ranking can be different. So there's many factors on how each instructor "ranks" his/her students.

P.S. I'm moving this to Korean arts. This is more of a Korean arts question than a general question.

Wow thats a lot of ranks!!!!! I don't agree with Red belts, but a midnight blue belt is pretty cool, some use it as a black belt.

Yea, some TSD dojangs use the midnight blue as black belt. They don't even wear black belts. They say if they wore a black belt, it was like "the end" of learning. Which it isn't. But they decided on the midnight blue instead.

Yea, we had 10 gup ranks. I made it to 5th gup. I wish I stayed, actually :( I loved it.

Laurie F