• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What do you guys think of Goju-ryu?

BKJ1216

I'm still kind of looking for information abotu different styles. It turns out the shudokan school only does point sparring :-|. There is only one other japanese style dojo in town, and it teachers Goju-ryu. Anyone know anything about this style?

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Japanese or Okinanawan Goju?

Not that there is a HUGE difference.

Both Yamaguchi and Miyagi were amazing martial artists. Its a really great Karate style. Its sort of like the Japanese version of Wing Chun.

I train in Okinawan Goju-ryu. Goju means "hard soft," the style teaches balance in hard and soft techniques (and everything, really, not just techniques). Like Kensai said, the influence of Chinese arts is easy to spot in the kata, it's a very interesting style. Generally we don't do much point sparring in our dojo, except it's often used as a drill in the kids' class.

I saw the thing on Discovery channel as well. Sensei talked about it a little, he felt that what was shown looked more like random physical abuse and bullying than training. Our training does get rough and we do lots of conditioning, but he seemed to feel what was shown was excessive, or more...not sure how to put it. It was just done in a different spirit than what he feels makes a productive training environment, I guess.

dont be so disheartened by point sparring. if you really liked the look of the other dojo then i dont see a problem. point sparring isnt the end of the world and isnt the lamest thing either. its better to start out with sometihng abit softer then to jump straight in with getting the snot beaten outa you. just my opinion. kinda off topic but hay, i thought it needed to be said.

I want to get the snot beat out of though, I'll be better faster if I do it that way. Plus I was really looking forward to entering tornuments, someone I talked to on aim went to the latest tornument here, he beat all the shodukan students with ease. That's probably because they did point sparrying.

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

They were beaten because they weren't good, not becasue of the style (I don't know many things about Shudokan and I try not to bash what I don't know) :)

Goju Ryu is a KARATE style like Sh.ito Ryu (damn the word :)), Wado Ryu and so on. A very respected style, with tradition and good reputation. A good sensei can do wonders. A good one would show you all the style can do and even broaden your "view" by adding something tha style lacks (In our Shotokan dojo we learn how to fall, how to grapple and so on. It's not in the "curriculum", but our sensei takes care of us in order to be really well rounded.)

So it's not the style. We are talking here humans (instrctors and students) and they make the difference (IMO).

• 5 weeks later...

Well, I'm a little biased because I take Goju. My black belt is in Okinawan Goju Ryu, but I trained up to Green belt in Japanese Goju Ryu (my Sensei switched styles at that time).

I enjoy Goju because of the balance (it means hard/soft). I have also been fortunate enough to have Senseis trained in jujitsu as well, which really helps with the "ju" part. I've also gone to some of their jujitsu classes, which is rather enjoyable for a change of pace and for new knowledge :)

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse