• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

point sparring and full contact sparring

BKJ1216

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
as someone said.. sparring is always sparring... any way is a good way...

point sparring may have some advantages but it also teaches alot of bad habits, in a way doing alot of harm.

Well I've thought about it for a mintue and I came but with this analasys.

Tornuments(non point scoring): Full contact

Tornuments(point scoring):Point

Self Defense: either, the average person would probably be sucumed by one blow

Tell if this is accurate.

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

There is a lot to be learned from point sparring but because you are good at it don't assume you are good at full contact. They are much differant. Read other posts on this topic.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

You can always find someone who is willing to fight with contact. In my dojo many will not fight with contact. (afraid of injury, and some could not fight their way out of a wet paper bag. That is why your mind set is key to when fighting.) However I know all who will fight and all who will do light and heavy. I have gotten many bloody noses, dislocated shoulder, brocken fingers, etc. but they have all taught me a lesson.

Point sparring isn't bad because it teaches you basics and blocking but it will not teach you how to fight. I think it is for more of the self defence part instead of any offense. In my opinion though offense should only be used in extreme situation. So point sparring does have its benefits also.

The only concern I have about sparing in the dojo/dojung/tournament, is that to a certain extent it’s still controlled. If it wasn’t we would have a lot of maimed, crippled or dead student on our hands.

The danger (depending on the situation), I feel, is when it comes down to the real deal, we may think for a few precious moments that we are sparing an opponent instead of someone who is really trying to hurt us.

IMO sparing (non, semi or full-contact) has its place, however it shouldn’t be taught or promoted to the extent where our auto reflex responses are thinking sparing partner instead of aggressive assailant.

Has anyone experienced this in a real fight?

John G Jarrett

III Dan, ITF Taekwon-Do

one of the things i like best about my school and instructor is that they tailor the sparring to the individuals needs or desires, there ar those that are there to learn the form and get in shape, when they spar its pretty laid back and for points mostly, then there are those of us who want to compete NHB, when we spar its full out someones going to go down or tap I personaly went home bleeding two of the three nights i had class this week and i have one more to go. But its my choice and my partners choice to do so and the instructor allows and guides us individually.

I tend to believe any good instructor thats a fairly decent person would allow consensual contact sparring if thats what his students want. But then again, im not an instructor

If i still have all my blood it was a good fight, if not, it was a great fight.

Kenpo

in regard to john G's comment.....

Ive had an experiance like what your talking about in real life, but it went the opposite in some ways. before i started sparring witrh contact and got involved in a fight i was more leary of my oponnent and when he landed a good blow it threw me into a bit of a disoreiented feeling, i guess i panicked. Since the contact sparring has started i was involved in a situation with a friend (basically i was trying to help in out while he was getting jumped at a club) this time i went in much more confidently and when i was struck with a pretty good blow to the head , instead of panicking it seemed to just fade and i could react to counter. I have to assume that the change came from being desensitized to strikes through sparring with contact. Trust me for no minute did i feel like it was a sparring situaton. I'm not saying that would never happen, just stating my experiance on the matter.

If i still have all my blood it was a good fight, if not, it was a great fight.

Kenpo