• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

point sparring and full contact sparring

BKJ1216

Well I just called my dojo to ask if they did full conatct sparring. They said that they do point sparring because of the novice to advanced ratio(whatever that means). Should I be turned off of this school because of this?

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ready my Sparring Accidents thread for an explanation on Novice-to-Advanced ratio and how it applies to sparring. :D

Don't be afraid of point sparring. It's basically a very simple training exercise. You don't learn to fight with this exercise. You are taught how to react.

Well I mean the dojo is point sparring, but would it be aginst the rules if me an my partner agreed to do full contact? BEcause of all the things I've heard from people point sparring isn't good, plus I really amd trying to learn how to fight. It's like mikelw talkign about he beat the shudokan guys with ease, I bet anything it was because they did point sparring.

The school may not allow it, either because they don't want you doing it, or there just not insured for it.

If you are looking for full contact, find a school that does that. Point sparring and full contact are different in tactics and techniques.

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

There are many different reasons why people train. The amount of contact permitted in sparring should weigh in on a decision as to if this is the right thing for me. If you want to improve yourself the amount of contact is not as important as it is for someone who wants to learn how to really protect themself in a dangerous situation.

Well the only other japanese style karate dojo in town, I don't really like the instructor. I talked to him over the phone and he kind of freaked me out, plus it soudned like it costs a lot because he woudln't tell me how much it cost over the phone.