• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What are the differences between Judo and JJ?

Judo seems more to do with deflecting and/or throwing the opponent.

JJ seems to do more with wrestling/grappling.

What are the differences between the two?

What is the overlap of the two?

Kung Fu - Orange Sash *Last attended 1998

Tetsu Hei(MMA) - White Belt

Aikido - White Belt

Ju-Jitsu - White Belt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

the overlap is that they both use lots of grounfighting, although there is more in bjj,

the focus is different, in judo the objective is to throw your opponent to achieve a knockout/joitlock, while in bjj the objective is to disable your opponent, wether on the ground or standing.

in bjj the philosophy is why trade strikes with someone who might be stronger,bigger etc... through clinching and groundfighting you eliminate the persons ability to strike(he still can but not really) and you (the bjj player) have trained for this, so you apply a submission/choke.

the two are very similar and bjj is a derivative of judo ,the main difference is that, the emphasis is on different ranges of combat.

"When we go to the ground,you are in my world, the ground is the ocean, I am the shark,

and most people don't even know how to swim"

i think he was talking about bjj because he mentioned it has to do more with" "wrestling/grappling"

read his post kensai,

"When we go to the ground,you are in my world, the ground is the ocean, I am the shark,

and most people don't even know how to swim"

:karate: Yes, I meant Japanese JJ, not really BJJ. I only know of one guy locally that teaches BJJ and he is too expensive.

:karate: Well, I finally picked which school I plan to join.

:karate: I went and observed about 6 different local classes of various types, JJ, Judo, TKD, Karate, and the winner is.................

:karate: A drumb roll please......................................................................

:karate: It is an Aikido/Jiu-Jitsu/MMA school. They are mostly JJ with a mix in of the other two.

:karate: Got to run out today and get a much heavier gi!!! :karate:

Aikido - White Belt

Ju-Jitsu - White Belt

Well, it was almost a toss up between going with a Heavy Gi, or a Judo Gi. A Judo Gi with its quilted, extra heavy, seemed a bit much. Since this class is more Aikido based, I don't see us doing a lot of gi grabbing/throwing kinds of moves so I think the Heavy Karate gi should work fine.

Aikido - White Belt

Ju-Jitsu - White Belt