• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sparring Accidents

WhiteBelt

Man, when you train, study, work, and play... you don't have time to relax anymore. It's good to get a weekend to relax now and then. :D

Anyway, during my previous two sparring classes I've faced people that were close to my rank, yellow (9th kyu?). I've been accidentally injured in both of these classes. The first injury was a side kick to the ribs, after I had finished a few hits on his body and head. He decided to kick me when I withdrew, full force... I think it just stopped hurting today. The second was a simple bloody nose from a very quick back-fist.

I try my absolute best not to hurt my fellow student. If we agree on full contact, then I will hit them but not to hurt. It seems like a lot of the other low ranked students feel they need to 'prove' something though, or have no control whatsoever.... I feel more safe sparring an angry black belt. :lol:

I don't mind the injuries so much, or the pain, that comes with the territory. It's just the lack of physical and mental control. I'm sure the more experienced here know this, but I just wanted to point all that out for anybody going into Karate in the near future... be afraid, very afraid of that yellow belt sparring partner. :lol:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hello whitebelt,

We have all been there. At the lower levels most people lack control and perception of distance and timing. You and they will get better with practice.

As for the side kick while withdrawing, unless there is a comand to stop attacking and all action stops do not drop your guard. Be aware accidents do happen. The backfist used to get me everytime when I first started. I would just walk right into it.

When you get hit by it enough you will see it coming :D .

I just wanted to point all that out for anybody going into Karate in the near future... be afraid, very afraid of that yellow belt sparring partner. icon_lol.gif

The only thing more dangerous is a Whitebelt :o :o :o

(No pun intended :P )

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

The guy kicks like a horse, but I was tired and just stood there. :roll:

It took forever to heal.

I usually get tagged when I go in to attack, hit a few times and they hit me when I retreat... Kinda silly how it ends up with them trying to trade blows and that's all.

Heh, fear the whitebelt. :lol:

One of my first sparring clinics was in TSD. I got kicked full force in the gut by a orange belt (same as yellow in karate). Man that hurt! I would rather spar a higher rank. They have more control.

Pain or getting kicked don't bother me. It's the ones who have no control (or don't care) that bother me. If you dish it out on them the way they did on you, they get mad. Go figure.

Laurie F

Well i'm pissed off right now because I just figured out that the dojo I planned going to doesn't do full contact sparring. They do point sparring.

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

Learning control is one of the reasons there are one, three and fice step sparring drills. And yes it is better when you first start sparring to spar an upper belt. It is also good training for them to perform "sempai" duty and help you learn.

Well i'm * off right now because I just figured out that the dojo I planned going to doesn't do full contact sparring. They do point sparring.

whats wrong with point sparring? i mean anyone can punch you full hard in the nose but it take skill to control that punch.

i dont see everyones problem with point sparring, it doesnt hurt nearly as much!

Lately the black belts at our school have been sparring without gear.....

yeah we're crazy!! :D

Psychologically it has a pretty good effect on the lower belts....

It is understood that since we don't have any gear on .... should they lack control in their technique('specially with us having no protection) ... they will suffer our wrath.

Believe me ... it works! :wink: :D