• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I would greatly appreciate some feedback from anyone who has tried many styles or is familiar with many styles of martial arts. I live in New York City and it seems that almost every style is represented here. However, I am trying to find the style that is best suited for me. I am of rather large stature (5'11 180 lbs) and pretty strong. But I lack flexibility and due to a knee injury I doubt I will gain enough flexiblity to do any high kicks. I am looking for a style that uses strength, does not involve weapons or (high) kicks and can be effective from natural stances. I would like to learn a style that is offensive and involves hard strikes and punches. Your input would be greatly appreciated. And if you know of a dojo in Manhattan that teaches the style that you believe fits my criteria that would be a plus.

Thanks in advance,

LiveDavid :-?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
My best advice would be is to open the phone book, and look for a list of dojo/dojangs in your area. Go check them out. Watch a few classes, talk to students and instructors. Narrow your picks down to a few, then go take advantage of free trail classes (if any), and pick the one for you from there. Don't be suckered by long term contracts, though. If they want you to sign one for more than a year (or "pressure" you to sign), ruuunnnnnnn! ;)

Laurie F

RENZO GRACIE IS IN NEW YORK CITY!!! hes a great bjj teacher maybe you'd like that, or the chau's center for martial arts ,has a variety of classes and i have heard good thing about it, cheack out htose places. but new york for sure has more options than montreal, lucky you.

"When we go to the ground,you are in my world, the ground is the ocean, I am the shark,

and most people don't even know how to swim"