• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

rank from other styles

In that case I think that black belt did a very dishonorable thing by fighting at his lower rank. It should never be allowed but it runs rampant at tournaments.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your welcome, Heidi :D

Anyways, I kinda felt the same way. Eventhough I was just a 5th gup/kyu in Tang Soo Do. When I came to this school and sparred yellow belts, I knew more than them. They were true beginners. I wasn't. So, I went easy on them. I used some of my teaching experience from TSD, and helped them out.

Laurie F

• 2 weeks later...
My dojo recognizes other ranks form other styles, but when you start, you have to go through the same training process as everyone else. They also have an easier time advancing in belt ranks because they understand it a little more than someone who has had no experience. They are also tested to see what they know and maybe they'll have enough experience to attend the intermediate classes as well.

That tournament scenario thing scares me. I'm a brown belt in shotokan, a white belt in shito, and because of my background in shotokan, I'm well ahead of most of the students in shito (with the exception of this one girl who routinely kicks my arse up and down the room). The thing is, I've never really had much contact sparring until I started sparring with this girl. Now my shito instructor wants us to enter a tournament this april. I'm freaked out.

===================

When cornered, kick 'em in the spetznats. If that doesn't work, run around acting like an epilept + flail your arms about while whizzin' in your pants, then fall down foaming at the mouth. They'll be so disgusted THEY will walk away from the fight....

I just switched dojangs. My new instructor DID honor my rank. The problem I have with it is that blue belt in the new dojang is a much higher rank than I was. I'm 2 ranks from black instead of 5. I also have to learn A LOT more than what I learned in the old TKD dojang (like breakfalls, rolls, joint locks, throws, and new step sparring combos). I am a little freaked out about it. But then again, I don't have to rush. I AM going to take my sweet ol' time before I test for my next rank :)

Laurie F

Thanks Ramy. I guess you are right. He did make me nervous yesterday, though. We were doing jump kicks, and I totally lost it. I blamed it on him cause he was looking (he was standing right next to me). He just giggled and pretended not to look at me LOL. He is such a cool instructor. I can joke with him. He jokes right back :) So that will make all that stuff I have to learn easier. Now I know that he is a laid back average guy (not an anal stuck-up instructor).

Laurie F

The Dojo I train at allows in most cases the belt colour you came in with to be worn and respected as you come up to speed in our style of Karate.

This seems to be somewhat unusual from what the students that have taken advantage of this have said to me.

43 Years old

Blue Belt (7th Kyu) Shorin-ryu

Roberts Karate