rank from other styles

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My old TSD instructor did (for BB's, that is). Of course you had to show that you knew your stuff (ability, certs, ect). He honored TKD, karate, or a similar art's rank. He would give you a certian amount of time to learn TSD forms, and stuff. Then he would re-test you for the same rank in TSD. For color belt ranks, he would start you at white belt, but allow you to double test till you got to your old rank as long as you knew the material.

My TKD school starts everone at white belt (except Heidi LOL), but they advance you faster. I made it to blue belt in a year. Now that's fast! LOL. But now I'm going back to normal speed. It's taking me three months to get to high blue (pretty normal, I think).

Laurie F

Nope. It's not like there's a conversion rate like lbm to kilos. Also considering we have only a white sash and a black sash - where would the rainbow of coloured belts fit in ?

There are a lot of basics that are shared between various marital arts that let experienced students absorb material faster. However, there are other concepts, techniques that must be built on and a student not versed in them must start from square one.

Why would you want a rank that you have not earned ? You know for youself that you have reached a certain competence in another art and that cannot be taken away from you. However that still means you could know absoulutely squat about another.

thats how it was when i switched from kung- fu to shotokan my transcripts would not change over... it sucked becuase if it did i would be a blue belt going on brown which would be 3rd kyu or first level of brown... i think that sucks becuase i knew all the blocks and kicks that a white belt should know and the sparring i just diddnt know the kata that was the only real difference besides the stances but there were some similarities...

Mo Duk Pai Kung fu - Green Sash (https://www.modukpai.com)

Shotokan Karate - Orange Belt (https://www.nwkarate.com)

Future plans - Go to a Shaolin academy.(https://www.shaolins.com)

Honor other ranks yes.

If a person comes to class with a rank in another style they are welcome to wear that rank as long as they wish. However they are expected to fall into our pecking order based on rank. Its sort of a gray area. Our low ranks are to respect them but at the same time we do things a certin way they can learn from our low ranks.

So to answer you question yes.

NOTE: A person can't come into my class with a brwon belt in TKD and test for a black belt in Shotokan.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I am in a unique position. I have been honored by my new school to be allowed to wear my rank-which is in the same art (TKD), but different system. The task before me seems great-to learn an new set of forms, a new system of instruction, and a new style within (Kung Fu), as well as earn the respect of my fellow students and seniors. While I am allowed to wear my rank I could never place my self "above" * any student there until I accomplish these tasks and test for ranking.

*Not that I ever place myself above anybody..its just a manner of speaking. :)

Thanks for the support Laurie!!!!!! :D

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

The reason I ask this question is a couple of weeks ago I was reminded of one of the reasons I honor higher ranks from other styles. I went to a tournament with a friend just to hang out for a while, meet ppl I only see every so often, etc...anyways, while on the floor I overheard an instructor telling a student (a blue belt I believe), not to feel bad, that the person who beat him has a black belt in another style. I find that to be very unfair to someone who is new (less than 1 1/2 years) in the m.a.'s, and has paid there $40 or so to compete with someone who they think is more at there level. what do you all think of situations like this?. right/wrong, or is it just me, my first instructor was very tournament oriented so I may be making something from nothing.