• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is TKD Karate??

Karate must be some kind of universal term for those who don't know anything about martial arts. I went to my new doctor to get a referral for a chiropractor last year and all through his questioning as to how and why I need a chiropractor he kept calling my art Karate, even though I made it perfectly clear at the very start that I practice Kuk Sool Won. And he's the one who asked what style I am into. My friends are the opposite. They keep making up their own names of KSW, some of which I can't repeat on this forum. :lol:

It's happy hour somewhere in the world.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sometimes there are multiple spellings of a martial art. Translating form hangul, kanji, pinyin etc do not always produce a single translation set in stone. And remember that when an easter instuctor makes a sign in english it may not always be spelled the same way we would spell it.

And talk about trying to prounounce things. One day some of my friends had been to Seoul and they went to the bus station to come back. They told the ticket seller they wanted a ticket to Anjong-ni. They ended up in a place at the other end of the country from where they were trying to go. The solution - ask for a ticket to Pyong Taek or Osan. There were fewer places that had similar sounding names. Then after arriving in Pyong Taek get on the bus with the K-5 on the sign next to the korean.

Not sure what relevance that has to this discussion. But when you see terms spelled differently don't worry too much about it. Foreign languages aren't easy to work with or understand translations from.

"Karate" is an Americanization of Martial Arts and will get more response from JQ public. But does it really matter what is on the sign.....?

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/