Martial Artists, tell me this:...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I enjoy karate a lot. If someone asks me what I like to do for fun in an ordinary conversation it often comes up - it is hard not to talk about something that has taken up most of your spare time for so long! :D

Another reason it comes up is the bruises I end up with on my arms and shins. I refuse to go around wearing long sleeved shirts and hiding myself, since I don't think they are anything to be ashamed of (hey! I worked hard for those bruises! :lol: ), so I sometimes get questioned on them.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

One thing I can tell you from experience; Don't ever strut around in your gi. I was coming home from a class, and I didn't have a change of clothes, people seem to find it amusing to provoke me from a safe distance... down the street.

Luckily, I have a relativelyy cool head after class, otherwise you'd see me on the six o'clock news

Dee C.

Normal ( 'nor-m&l)-

an adj. used by humans to stereotype

Ignorance. Total Ignorance. Next time they say that beat them to an inch of there life and say "Is that proof?"

Only joking, martial arts is for self defence.

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee

• 4 weeks later...
wow. just... wow. you people must live in really angry and cynical places. 'round here in WI, if you tell people your in the martial arts, they just say "hey, that's cool, what style" and the subject either continues or it ends there. i wear my old gi top all the time; it's comfortable, it's convenient, it brings fond memories, and i get knowing smiles from other martial artists. i wouldn't call it bragging, just pride. and i don't think ever once has anyone ever provoked me because i was in the martial arts.

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

I'm 35 years old and I can tell you for a fact that I get some pretty funny looks from peolpe when I tell them I do Wing Chun Kung Fu. Looks like "in his age!" and "he is kidding me, right??!" and "Is he really doing it or is he pulling my nose here??!".

People in my age usually don't end up "testing" this or fighting it out, but I had some "fights" with friends and people who didn't believe me and had to see for them self. The only problem is that MA is not for "play fighting, so I ended one fight straining a guys ribs when I did pushing hands on him.

But I do not tell anyone if the subject don't come up for some reason, it's my stuff, not anyone elses....

So have fun, thats what counts most....

If the first lesson was a failure, then you know that skydiving isn't for you!

a couple of my close friendz know that im doin MA,

they always seem to ask me to show them stuff... i guess one way you can look at it , is that they want to learn of you. since they r my friendz i cant juz say no.

sumtymz they come up with question i dunt kno the answer to and they start bagging me for not knowing when im supposed to know.

they just want to tell you that they can still get a punch in whether or not you do do MA.

They are just testing to see how good you are b/c they're curious

and Mertial Arts is an interesting topic, once to start you can stop talking bout it

http://pcorp.azn.nu | phuong nguyen | wckf | vovinam

ya ive always gotten challenged just cuz they know i know MA. Usually my friends come at me with or a barrage of punches (all of which are slow and way off target lol) and i just a simple hold or takedown and they are amazed. It's just curiosity not ignorance cuz not a whole lot of people can do it good. It would be like if u met someone who could fly... of course you'd ask em to prove it just out of curiosity. :karate:

"It's just curiosity not ignorance cuz not a whole lot of people can do it good. It would be like if u met someone who could fly... of course you'd ask em to prove it just out of curiosity."

...hmmm, good point....

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

A boxer who knew i practiced Karate came up to me one and and quickly gave me a little slap on the face and said

"aye, man yer Karate-sh*t didint help you thier did it?!"

I laught and quickly slapped him back when he wasint expecting it and said

" nither did your boxing sh*t, it dosint prove much dus it?! "

just thought i'd tell you

Danuall san- "Up you'res OLD man, wax your own DAM cars, im goin out ta get LAID"

-Scott

https://www.worldkarate.net