• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Martial Artists, tell me this:...

SoulAssassin,

I worked for Advance Auto parts. And I worked for Mechanics Auto also (where that kid I told you about worked).

At the same store, the kid I spoke of, told another driver. She wanted me to hang out with her. But I found out from the kid that she wanted me to "beat people up." She was a "shadey character" so I said no. I told her that I don't learn martial arts to beat people up. That's not what MA is for. She was confused, but left me alone after that, so I left it at that. I didn't want to spew on all day about MA training LOL.

Laurie F

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to like to tell people I was in MA...just because it was new to me and exciting. My friends weren't quite as mocking as some other people seem to have (perhaps it's because I've known them since age 3), but I soon learned that it's more practical to keep your training a secret among strangers. For one thing, I don't think it's befitting of a martial artist to use their training as a threat in a verbal situation. Second: if someone knows you are a martial artist, you lose the element of surprise if that person attacks you. Third: situations like the ones other people have been mentioning...where people want it "proven" to them.

But then again, when we tell people that we do MA, aren't we kind of asking for all the stereotypical "HEEEYAAAA"s and "prove it"s? To an outside person, telling your friend that you do MA is sort of like a challenge. It's implying "I can beat you up" whether you meant to or not. That, of course, wounds pride (especially in testosterone-driven teenage guys). The only method of healing that pride (should it become bruised) is to prove that your MA friend isn't all s/he's cracked up to be.

I don't really have a problem with this because I've decided to stop telling people (unfortunately my mom just blabs all over anyway). Also, most of my friends are from the dojo, so we don't have to keep "secrets".

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

• 4 weeks later...

I think that "unknowledgeable" people have only seen martial arts on movies/tv. Through that main stream, actors are performing fantastic stunts to make it look good on film. So when someone meets a martial artist in real person, they don't understand to the fullest what it means. Some people feel inferior with themselves so they always want you to prove to them that you could beat them up. I liked the first reply..

Ignorance.

too many people know I do karate

when i first started friends use to throw punches and the like at me

every now and then they try, but usually they get hurt when i block them (i don't even block hard), my friend that is new to judo always trys to kick me in the the shin and trip me and stuff...we don't do that much in sparring so i'm not as good at defending that but sometimes as a reaction i actually end up hooking her leg and tripping her

I guess i've been pretty lucky with the whole my friends and a few others knowing that I take Karate. A few of them have taken other arts such as kenpo and TKD and we mess around a little with eachother but we never go out and act hard because we know the arts. I feel that if one takes a MA just to show off, then there full of themselfs and dont understand the true meaning of it. MA's arnt to be able to kick someone in the face just to look cool, its to understand your self and your limits. My dad is one of those people who like to brag to others about me and my self-defence skills. Hes like, "dont mess with craig, he'll break your arm". So I know exactly how you all feel. Just share with those who will understand the meaning of it. :karate:

#1"The road to tae kwan leep is an endless road leading into the herizon, you must fully understand its ways". #2"but i wanna wax the walls with people now" #1"come ed gruberman, your first lesson is here.....boot to the head" #2"ouch, you kicked me in the head", #1"you learn quickly ed gruberman"

When my daughter started MA she couldn't wait to tell everyone I had to explain to her why this wasn't a good Idea. People wanting her to prove it could easily end up in a real fight. She hates keeping it a secret but she understands why. So I told her she could tell when she's a little more advanced ..that way at least she could kick their butt if they did actualy start somthing.

BigGuy

I get what you're saying. It's just that people think karate is funny and always want everybody to prove that they are good. Also, they just want to see a cool move. With other subjects like art, or math, no one cares if you are better, because everybody just LOVES fights and love to see people get their butts-beat! :roll: yes...people are very stupid.

"Osu!"

i'm with "ninjanurse" and "monkeygirl" on this one...why bother telling people in the first place?

keep your skills hidden until you need to reveal them.

if your friends walk about bragging about your abilities and skills, perhaps a talk with them is in order. or, more severely, perhaps you would be best served by other friends...

"It is not how much you know but how well you have mastered what you've learnt. When making an assessment of one's martial arts training one should measure the depth rather than the length".

- MASTER "General" D. Lacey

This situation comes up too often. But I belive that it is a lose/ lose circumstance. Meaning that if someone comes up and tries to fake a punch at you to see what you will do and you do nothing, then you are considered to be ineffective. Now lets say you do react, but do so with control. Now they will begin to critique your response and tell you all the different things they could have done to you. And lastley in my opinion to effectivley show the power of your chose art then you must not hold back. Of course if you take this course of action then you are simply met with the statement " I thought martial artists were supposed to have more control"!

So you see in the end trying to please such ignorant pepole is useless and a waste of your talent. Personally my Gung Fu is never for show and never for showing off.

"We work with being, but non-being is what we use" Tao Te Ching

I find that if you beat the crap out of one or two of them then send them back to tell the rest not to mess with you things work out just fine and they leave you alone.

:idea:

No scars, no bruises, no cuts or bumps, those are signs of perfection, how did you come up chump? Through the backdoor?