• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Martial Artists, tell me this:...

Why is it that when you tell someone that isn't in a MA that you're in martial arts(style doesn't matter), they always want you to 'prove' it? I always get challanged or something like that. Like someone i know will come up to me and pretend to hit me in hte face or something ilke that, thinking i would do some amazing move on them. Why is it that when someone says that they can draw good or somehting, noone says that they can't or say that they can draw better than him. Do you get what i'm saying? :kaioken: :kaioken: :kaioken:

"By the time I was fifteen, I became a white belt."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because there are alot Martial artist that really dont know how to fight.

they want to see if your one of them, either that or some people may just want to see you use it because its cool...just like why people watch, kickboxing, grappling etc.

Have you ever seen those shows where someone is scared and they think someone is in there house and they yell out " I know karate" even thought they dont'. I think it's kind of like that anyone can say they know karate for either intimidation or to let people know that they should mess with them, but because of all the people lieing people wnat it to be proved. My advice just dont' care, martial arts isn't about pride or boasting rights, it's about slef defense and humility. I myself dont' like to tell a lot of people that I do martial arts because I feel that if I do I'll become a target.

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

Depending on the level of the individual, I would have to say it is ignorance on both parts. I feel when you tell someone you take karate, your telling them exactly what you don't know. I have been studying for 14 years and I had the same problem up until I reached the Brown belt level. It took that long for me to humble myself. I know at the lower-intermediate belts we think we can beat the world. When in fact we probably know just enough to get our butts beat against an experienced fighter. People will figure it out by the way you carry yourself, your work ethic and your well being. We tend to portray more confidence than most. As an upper belt you will understand this. I like to compare what we do to golf. Alot of people play golf and alot of people quit. But how many actually stick with it long enough to turn pro. same with M.A. Some do and some don't, but the black belts are the pros. really not many when looking at the big picture. So I have to say that we are he elite. just my .02

He who hesitates, meditates in the horizontal position....Edmund Parker