• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
When I first started training I signed up for a 3 month contract. When it expired I was short on money so I did not resign immediately. Then one day I saw my instructor, he said why haven't you been at school training. I answered honestly, "I have been short on money." He said "If that is the problem get back in there. Don't ever let money be an issue." I did as he said and he gave me an opportunity to take care of the grounds for my dues. I jumped on it. I have been there groundsman for 3 years now, and I appreciate my training more than when I just paid cash for it. I have learned some schools require you to purchase their equipment, their weapons, there mothpieces, their belts etc... Or they have trophies everywhere. Those are things I look at when deciding where to train. And I would decide to train somewhere else!

I would pick #1. I say this because traditional styles generally tend to teach brutal techniques that are not taught in the simple punch/kick arts (no disrespect intended).

Number 2 will have broader skills. Number 1 will have a more narrow scope of techniques, but they will be deeper.

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

Go with the second one to get down the basics of martial arts, and to also get into a good physical shape. You will also learn right from the start with out the ridiculous cerimonies. Learn what you think is important, then incoporate off that. Once you think you have absorbed what you think you needed, then try and move on to the first place and see if its what you want. Remember, you can quit to find a better place at anytime, and don;t be held down by one perticular style. You should learn various styles and incorporate what you like from it, and leave out anything you don;t deem important. Its your body and your money, don't let the teacher tell you whats important either, you have to choose.

What does that say about a place that they want a 12 month contract as a minimum.

I was inquiring at a school near me and I asked the owner about the rates. He response said a lot. He said he doesn't believe in contracts but he will give you a discount if you pay for 6 or 12 months in advance. He also strongly advised me to go month-to-month before I consider paying in advance. For me, that revealed that he has my best interests in mind and is not just trying to get a guarenteed "meal ticket." They also let you come and train for 3 free sessions before having to pay. To me, this attitude shows a lot of honor and concern for the student.

BTW, I love the username. I assume you've studied ching-ching-pow? LOL.

Grunt

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmond Burk

"A true warrior embodies more than the ability to wage war." - Anonymous