• advertisement_alt

The legalisation of cannabis?

ZeRo

should cannabis be laegalised?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. should cannabis be laegalised?

• Yes
    • No

BKJ, I see what you're saying. It is on the lower end of the many ailments of society compared with other, more pressing problems of society. But, the question was asked of me, legalize or not. I gave my opinion. Now, I will be the first to state that maybe my opinion isn't 100% applicable all the time, but it is still what I believe.

For me, marijuana wouldn't be an incarcerating offense, a penalized one involving a fine and a marred personal record. Like I stated before. They can do what they want. I don't have to condone it.

Going to prison over it is too extreme. Paying a nice fine and having personal records marred is fine.

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." Einstein

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I hate the stuff, I've never smoked it and I know too many people who have been harmed by it. It impairs judgment and so is NOT safe. People call it safe, but that is only in relation to other drugs, it doesn't mean it's safe in comparison to an un-altered mental state.

All that said, I think our current penalties for it are far too harsh and do more harm to society than legalization would. It is unfortunate that people will abuse it, but it is not something we can prevent, so we might as well minimize the damage.

Might as well take my advice--I don't use it anymore.

• 3 weeks later...
I don't believe that cannibals should be legalized. It seems very disgusting and barbaric to me. I can't believe this is still going on in todays time. What is the world coming to when people want to legalize cannibals.

BigGuy

Oh man, you just made my week. You are confusing cannabis and cannibalism. Cannabis is a drug, AKA marijuana. I think everyone here probably agrees that Cannibalism a bad thing. Certainly you will get no argument from me, but well, that is another thread entirely.

Might as well take my advice--I don't use it anymore.

I didn't take the time to read the whole thread (I skipped pages 2 and 3) so I don't know if someone already mentioned this. Marijuana, like all plants, has two parts, a male and a female part. The female part is the part used as a drug and the part used for medicinal purposes. The male part has no THC (or very little) so it is as viable as a drug as oregano is. Hemp is the male part, so if growing marijuana was to be legalized for purposes of producing hemp, then every field would have to be strictly regulated and inspected. That said, I'm against marijuana for medicinal purposes there are other alternatives, like being able to genetically engineer the plant so that THC is removed from it. I'm guessing that during evolution, marijuana acquired THC as a means to prevent herbivores from consuming them as it is a toxin. If that's correct then removing THC should have no effect except to make it non intoxicating and therefore perfectly safe for growth. I'm currently a freshman in highschool, and believe me, very few people have any fear of marijuana whatsoever, including myself. I guess it's like sex only being sex if it's intercourse.

Just a little note I wanted to mention about the website. I don't think that 50% of the worlds' herbicides are used on cotton, considering that herbicides would kill it by definition!

Now here's something a little more abstract, but is democracy all that great without education? How do people help themselves by having their opinion count when it could be detrimental to every facet of society and themselves? That said, there's obviously no alternative that is anywhere close to as good as a democracy.

Darn I've have got to get the prescription checked on these glasses I thought this thread was something else entirley.

Maybe they should legalize cannibis as a cure for Cannibalism.

Wait it gives you the munchies so nevermind.

BigGuy

first off, i'm very much pro-legalization. the problem with the "war" on drugs is that is makes the drug trade more lucrative for the participants. simple economics 101: supply and demand. for every shipment the government seizes, the value of the stuff they CAN'T get to increases. all of the crime associated with marijuana is because of the black market atmosphere. the MONEY is what drives the drug trade. you're going to have a hard time convincing a kid that it's better to flip burgers and not make a living wage, than it is to deal drugs. it's tragic, but that's how it works. if the government legalized marijuana and regulated it like alcohol and tobacco, we'd see much better results. And the tax $ that would generate could be used for social services programs or other things that would impact society in a positive way.

also, hemp and pot are NOT the same thing. the way you grow them is TOTALLY different. hemp in fields grows thick and bushy. THC-producing plants need lots of space and light. no one trying to grow good pot for smoking would ever "hide" their plants in a hemp field - the growing conditions are different AND the hemp plants would cross-polinate with the THC-producers and weaken the strain.

fun fact: one of the devastating california wildfires last season was started by a "war on drugs" team trying to destroy a handful of cannaibs plants.

I think it should be decriminalized, but I am also not a fan of secondhand smoke; while it shouldn't be a criminal offense to have cannabis, I shouldn't be exposed to second hand pot smoke anymore than I should be exposed to second hand tobacco smoke. If you want to smoke, fine, just leave me out of it please!

In my city there will be a smoking ban in public places starting in June, and many other cities and towns in Ontario are doing the same thing, so I guess it won't be a huge issue.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

wow i leave u all for like 2 weeks and i pop back and the thread i started has turned from the original topic and into something about canabolism!

:D :lol: look forward to seeing what more of u have to say.