• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Terminology

Ok, so this topic has probably come up hundreds of times, but I think after recent disagreements on "A-Z of Martial Arts", it needs discussing again.

So, everyone, are you for Japanese/Korean/etc. terminology, or are you a "double handed picture frame block" person?

"You Are Never Given A Dream Without Also Being Given The Power To Make It True. You May Have To Work For It, However"

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner

West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy

2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I'm for japanese terminology, mainly because the art I study uses it :)

Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo, 17 Years Old 1st kyu Brown Belt in in Goju Ryu Karate-do, & Shodan in Okinawan Kobudo

Given enough time, any man may master the physical. With enough knowledge, any man may become wise. It is the true warrior who can master both....and surpass the result.

I AM CANADIAN

:D

My style actually mixes the usage of korean terminology with english terms. So we have things like "open hand picture frame blocks" but we also have names that I can't spell...

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

i completely agree with tobias. the only time i find that english terminology is accually useful is when learning the moves. but i still tihnk that if you learn the MA term first you wouldnt even need to know the english.

This is where alot of controversy lies with the distinction of traditional and modern (practical) martial arts. For it to be practical or modernized it seems it has to be better understood by the student.

In the thread Tobias is referring to.... I took exception to the term K-beck which is NOT the traditional name of the (11/12th of the Chang hon forms that were created by Choi Hong Hi. These patterns are known as the "first" Korean forms they are based heavily on the movements of Japanese and Okinawan Karate. But names throughout the years have been "changed" .... and yes (Kae Bek and Gae Bek are one in the same not two different forms)

Because of so many styles and schools of TKD... you will find inconsitency in certain terminology and spellings. It is a shame really :(

Hrm...perhaps the kata is just performed differently between two styles?

Let me explain:

There is a blackbelt at my dojo who first earned a black belt in TKD in Korea. I've seen him perform Gae Bek from his original style, and it's very different from the Kae Bek of my style. So much so that I couldn't even find a similarity. This could be because my dojo doesn't do things in a very traditional manner, but still, we don't alter katas that much. But who knows?

Anyway, now you can see why I believed Gae Bek and Kae Bek to be two completely seperate forms. :karate:

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

you will find inconsitency in certain terminology and spellings. It is a shame really

WOAH WOAH WOAH, hold on......is KickChick actually agreeing with me? :P

I took exception to the term K-beck

I understand your 'anger'. I get the same when it happens to me ("I do sai kata one" GGGGRR)

"You Are Never Given A Dream Without Also Being Given The Power To Make It True. You May Have To Work For It, However"

I'll be for japanese termonology next year when I leard it, for now I'm going to stick with the words I can pronounce and understand.

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

I'll be for japanese termonology next year when I leard it, for now I'm going to stick with the words I can pronounce and understand.

Be careful my friend, if you use English for that length of time you will find it very difficult to change. I advise Japanese from the beginning

WOAH WOAH WOAH, hold on......is KickChick actually agreeing with me? :P

I don't believe I ever have disagreed with you ... but there is always a first time!! :wink:

as the song goes..... 'I'm' an "original" baby!.... traditional and proud of it! :wink: ....