• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Blocks, Kata?

Beer-monster

A friend recently told me a story about a Karate sensei who did not understand some of the supposed blocks in Karate Kata. Particularly one from a back attack (how do you see it coming?) and blocks with no counter attack.

Supposedly the sensei went to Japane, and was told by Japaneae masters that "There are no blocks in Karate. Blocks are usually nerve srikes or blows."

What does anyone think, and can anyone give me more details on this story True?False etc.

Mind, body and fist. Its all a man truly needs.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

To be truthful he shouldn't have been a sensei if he didn't understand the blocks/strikes etc.

But in answer to your question - every block is an attack in principle. Think about it - when an arm doing an age uke (rising block) makes contact with a punching arm, it does exactly that. Its not like a feather coming in contact with a fly.

Does this answer your question?

"You Are Never Given A Dream Without Also Being Given The Power To Make It True. You May Have To Work For It, However"

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner

West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy

2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)

True, but do you usually use Age uke to block attacks (i dont often) and most the blocks used in the street and in sparring looks nothing like kata or classic blocks.

Age uke can be used very effectively as an attack using the forearm or hammer fist to strike the jaw line (a weak point with several nerve bundles). effective defense in my experience is made of soft parries not blocks, which redirect rather than pulverise attacks.

> Different strokes etc. What do you say?

Mind, body and fist. Its all a man truly needs.

I was simply answering your question. You were not discussing parries, but traditional blocks, in which I gave a very valid response.

But, if we are to dicuss that.........traditional blocks are a foundation. For example, you may not use a full motioned soto ude uke for block an attack, but practising it will make your parries even better.

"You Are Never Given A Dream Without Also Being Given The Power To Make It True. You May Have To Work For It, However"

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner

West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy

2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)

We teach all blocks as strikes. This is a 2 fold saying.

1. you can use any blocking motion as a striking motion to an attackers body.

2. you can use the block to attack the persons arm or leg. If you take out the leg or arm he has nothing to hit you with.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I concur guys, Our Hanchi stresses to us that every block is a strike and should be treated as such. Make your attacker know it was a mistake in throwing a punch and think twice about throwing another. :D

"If your hand goes forth withhold your temper"

"If your temper goes forth withold your hand"

-Gichin Funakoshi

• 2 weeks later...