• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What's modern? What's traditional?

So, which styles are considered modern? Which ones are considered traditional? And is there a definitive way to categorize each or is it somewhat arbitrary? Thanks!

Grunt

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmond Burk

"A true warrior embodies more than the ability to wage war." - Anonymous

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I suppose it is all subjective, but I concider moder style to be styles without katas, and are fairly newly developed ie BJJ and Mauy Thai (altough I am aware they have been around for a while). Also modern styles often tend to lack a spirtual aspect. I am not saying one is better than the other, merely giving my definition of what separates them :wink:

Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo, 17 Years Old 1st kyu Brown Belt in in Goju Ryu Karate-do, & Shodan in Okinawan Kobudo

Given enough time, any man may master the physical. With enough knowledge, any man may become wise. It is the true warrior who can master both....and surpass the result.

I AM CANADIAN

I suppose it is all subjective, but I concider moder style to be styles without katas, and are fairly newly developed ie BJJ and Mauy Thai (altough I am aware they have been around for a while). Also modern styles often tend to lack a spirtual aspect. I am not saying one is better than the other, merely giving my definition of what separates them :wink:

Traditional Jujutsu lacks kata, does that mean it's a modern style despite being used hundreds of years ago?

I would consider a modern stlye a style that changes and adpts to a chngine world, it gets rid of what dosent work and sticks to what does.

traditional styles generally stick to what has always been done, whether it works or not. they dont bring in new techniques or get rid of anything.

hey I never said my definintion was perfect :)

Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo, 17 Years Old 1st kyu Brown Belt in in Goju Ryu Karate-do, & Shodan in Okinawan Kobudo

Given enough time, any man may master the physical. With enough knowledge, any man may become wise. It is the true warrior who can master both....and surpass the result.

I AM CANADIAN

Thanks folks. Can anyone list some examples of traditional and modern styles? For example:

== Traditional ==

Shotokan

TKD

???

== Modern ==

BJJ

???

Thanks!

Grunt

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmond Burk

"A true warrior embodies more than the ability to wage war." - Anonymous

In my personal opinion

A Traditional style is one that has been practiced for years and years with little to no change in there techniques and performance. have an old story. Rich in cultural traditions of the country the style was created.

A Modern Style is usually a style that has been born out of the combination of traditional styles, change training methods. Have less than 40-50 years of creation.

A Modern Style can turn into a traditional styles if its keep practiced the same way for years and years with little to no changes.

A traditional Style can be turned into a Modern just by crosstraining, adding diferent techniques from other styles, and changing the training method.

Some Traditionals Styles are:

Okinawan Karate (shorinryu, goju ryu )

Japanese Karate (shotokan)

Daitoryu Aikijujutsu

Kenjutsu

Ninjutsu

Aikido

Tang Soo Do/soo bhak Do

Muay Thai/kabri kabron

Tai Chi Chuan

Shaolin Kung Fu

Wing Chun

Shorinji Kempo

Iaido/Kendo

Kyudo

Sumo

Taekwondo ITF

Modern styles can be:

Muay thai/Kickboxing

Jeet Kune do

Krav Maga

American Kenpo Karate

Hapkido

Taekwondo WTF

Brazilian Jiu jitsu

Choi Kwan Do

Sambo

Karate Kyokushin

I see at as more of a difference in attitude then anything else.

A tradtitional style follows traditions, doesn't matter how old it is. It is more concerned with following the traditions and preserving then changing and evolving.

A traditional style has a syllybus defined by tradition, as oppose to one defined by what the coach/athlete feels is most effective.

Not sure about the traditional/modern distinction though.

Which is boxing? Wrestling? Both have been around a very long time, but neither are "bound" by tradition.

I would consider both "traditional", but in a different sense then something like XXX-ryu karate/jujitsu/kenjitsu/whatever...

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

The only situation I see with traditional styes is this. Fighting techniques have changed over time. Unless your style is willing to adapt to the changing society, it cannot grow. I did alot of homework before I selected my style and this was a major concern for me. I selected Parker kenpo for this reason. Mr parker wanted his style to adapt and grow with the changing world.

He who hesitates, meditates in the horizontal position....Edmund Parker