• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What's wrong with karate?

BKJ1216

A BJJist would beat a karate ka? I figure if each artist was equally skilled, the Bjj guy woudl get his ass kicked. All those guys do is go to the ground (until the erally high ranks). YOU ALL EAT BALL% just kidding!

If you can find me one example in the last 10 years of a karateka beating a know BJJ fighter then I would be extremly suprised.

im not biased im simply stating the facts.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It all depends on the range, if a good striker is able to keep the distance using footwork then the striker would win, if the BJJ guy uses footwork and gets close enuff then he can win at his game ie grappling.

If you are just a striker then you are in trouble if someone manages to close the gap

If you are just a grappler then you would have trouble grappling with 2 opponents for which I would rather consider striking as a better srategy

Conclusion - Both are essential, niether is useless, neither should one be neglected under the false impression of the UFC or Bruce Lee who was more of a striker :)

|Mayur|

It all depends on the range, if a good striker is able to keep the distance using footwork then the striker would win,

unfortuantly it's alot easier to close distance than keep it on someone trying to shoot in...

I'm just going to say, I'm a karate student that has been training for two years, and I'd have to agree that BJJ is more likely to severely beat a stand up art like karate than vice versa.

To be able to defend against grappling, the karateka should cross train. I'm doing jiujutsu right now to supplement my training in karate.

Now about grapplings flaws...

Having been in a few street fights involving gangs, grappling is like commiting suicide. I mean absolutely no offense to any grapplers here, but if you are in a fight with 2 or more people, you simply have no time to get someone to the ground and apply a lock or a choke, when his buddy is right there ready to slap a bat in your head. If you've got the gift of speed and are strong enough to snap one guys arm and move on to the next guy, great! but this isn't the greatest strategy. You'll want to get out of there as fast as you can.

Again, I'm not bashing grappling, if I was, then why the hell would I be doing it?

===================

When cornered, kick 'em in the spetznats. If that doesn't work, run around acting like an epilept + flail your arms about while whizzin' in your pants, then fall down foaming at the mouth. They'll be so disgusted THEY will walk away from the fight....

Well I was thinking. What type of grappling is BJJ? I was thinking if the karateka was truly focused in he could strike him before he coudl grapple.

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

Well I was thinking. What type of grappling is BJJ? I was thinking if the karateka was truly focused in he could strike him before he coudl grapple.

no, most grapplers will clinch and take down without taking a hit...evenif they do get hit it's usally not enough to stop them.

The only strikers who can stay on their feet and knock someone out are the ones with grappling/wrestling experience themsleves...watch the first 5 UFC's i can think of a single pure striker who was able to stay on his feet against a good grappler.

Know your enemy and know yourself and you will never be defeated in 1000 battles.-Sun Tsu

That is, you need to know and understand grappling if you want to anti-grapple.

Mind, body and fist. Its all a man truly needs.

Yeah but I don't understand grappling. I think that understanding it would be good in case of self defense. Most people will grab you, you might be able to get out of it with a strike but I don't know if there are any strikes in karate that would deal with that situtaion.

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

There are techniques in karate that deal with those situations - in fact many katas contain escapes from trapped hands and similar situations.

But like these guys said, any good grappler could take down most karateka.

22 years old

Shootwrestling

Formerly Wado-Kai Karate