• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What's wrong with karate?

BKJ1216

there is nothing wrong with karate. many people, fear or discourage things they know little of. I do honestly believe though that the majority of the people on this site are openminded and not as quick to judge another's style :)
ageeds, and bows to Leaf :)

Read a book!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listen, the reason why I got into martial arts (i'm a yellow belt in karate) is because of the self defense. Not for exercise or the art form behind most arts. Not for sport (UFC). I am in it to protect myself on the streets.

Now USUALLY a person that knows a martial art is not a person that will go around fighting people on the street left and right. Usually people doing that have no or little MA training. And even if they did know a MA (let's say BJJ since it rivals karate and has been talked about a lot in this message board), they're not going to wrestle you in the back of an alley. They're going to try to beat you up.

Wrestling doesn't do anything but let you control your opponent. Unless you're going to use some kind of joint maneuver on him or hit him while on the ground, when you let go of him, he's going to get right back up and run away or keep on fighting.

Now even though i'm still in high school and i'm not too experienced in any MA, I still try to keep an open minded opinion about all styles.

It seems to me that if you put two good Martial artists in a ring, one Karate and one BJJ, the 'BJJist' would win. And possibly the BJJist would win on the street aswell, but that will most likely not happen.

"By the time I was fifteen, I became a white belt."

A BJJist would beat a karate ka? I figure if each artist was equally skilled, the Bjj guy woudl get his ass kicked. All those guys do is go to the ground (until the erally high ranks). YOU ALL EAT BALL% just kidding!

No you simply can't compare striking and grappling 'cause they are meant for two completely different things

The thing which I meant was if I was to train for self defence and I had to choose only ONE thing ie striking or grappling, I would go for striking :)

|Mayur|

I'm mostly a "striker", but study grappling too and getting quite good at it. Though, I don't see myself on the street going to the ground. I care too much about my clothes :D

In a conflict I would punch and kick, sweep and block and avoid going to the ground. Concrete (wet and dirty, depending on the weather) is different comepared to the cosy mat in our dojos :D

And comparing a striking art (with some grappling, but mostly a striking art) with a grappling one it's like comparing apples and bananas :karate:

NO style should critisize any other style. All styles bring something to the table. As a Martial Arts Community, we should share our knowledge with eachother.

My Sensei is a Sixth Degree in Isshinryu yet continually goes to other schools, tournaments and and seminars which include all different styles and tries to take the best concepts from each one.

He always says that we, as students, should take the blinders off and recognize that how much we can learn from one another.

Black Belt is a way of life