• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What's wrong with karate?

BKJ1216

I don't mean spiritual in a religious sense. In a more general sense it would be improving your character. I for one am happy in how my classes as a kid, and even now push me to be a better person. I don't know how to explain, but I doubt that if my classes were purely focused on making me a better fighter, that I would avoid violence as much as I do now.

Before karate I was a bad boy, now I have control...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok...here is the point in karate. If you want to ground fight you have to get me there. If you want to grab me and throw me....try....if you want to tackle me....try. If your karate school is not teaching self-defence or whatever find another. If you are good at something, it is only because you know your weaknesses and what everyone else sees. You must be able to counter what someone may throw at you. If you cannot then we have discussions like this one.

All of those things come from training in a sports environment, something "traditional" styles don't provide as well as non-traditional.

Pick up just about any book on youth sports and it will tell you about character development. It will also tell you that much of the "traditional" method is wrong for accomplishing those goals.

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

All of those things come from training in a sports environment, something "traditional" styles don't provide as well as non-traditional.

Pick up just about any book on youth sports and it will tell you about character development. It will also tell you that much of the "traditional" method is wrong for accomplishing those goals.

Exactly what is the traditional method? :karate:

Read a book!

ok...here is the point in karate. If you want to ground fight you have to get me there. If you want to grab me and throw me....try....if you want to tackle me....try. If your karate school is not teaching self-defence or whatever find another. If you are good at something, it is only because you know your weaknesses and what everyone else sees. You must be able to counter what someone may throw at you. If you cannot then we have discussions like this one.

IM guessing your school teachs takedown defenses, thats awsome and i think everyone should learn them, but you have to realize if someone attacks you they pick the time and they proabably arent going to ask if you ready, he might just tackle you from behind or from the side, or maybe you just trip.. for whatever reason you might end up on the ground, then all your training just went out the window. ground skills are a neccesity.

No one ever said they weren't. Ground skills are useful. So do you really think that Karate's originators who developed their art through fighting techniques and experience would not include them?

They are included in the kata, Pinan Godan for one, however they just are not empasised as a primary tactic. :karate:

Mind, body and fist. Its all a man truly needs.

Exactly what is the traditional method? :karate:

One that is traditional ;)

If I give specific examples of traditional training methods I open the door to anyone to say "I'm traditional and never did that".

As I have also claimed that many are wrong, listing any will offend those that do those methods.

I would suggest going to the library and reading a few books on coaching. A University Library (with a sports science department) would be a very good starting point.

See how what you are doing compares to what those books say you should and should not be doing.

This subject could easily have a book written on it and even for a few simple examples the amount of justification and explanation would require a lengthy piece.

Also keep in mind that traditional can mean some very different things to different people, which is why I had it in quotes.

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

beermonster..good reply.

TJs....I agree about being attacked when you least expect it. Dont we all train for the unexpected? Is that not why we practice? I for one used to work at a prison and I can tell you when you are attacked, the world slows down and that training comes in handy. Should you know how to fight from the ground? Of course, but, I do not want to stay there. For that matter, most of the fights I have ever witnessed, neither does the other guy.

From my personal experience, karate has served me well (and I also used to point fight). Therefore; from my perspective karate is a good art to study. I believe also it depends greatly on whom it is teaching you.