• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What's wrong with karate?

BKJ1216

I've seen many post today kind of bad mouthing karate. One of them list it as the least effective art for self defense. The other said that most karate students woudln't be able to defeat a jiu-jisu student. I won't mention who's post it is. But give me valid reasons why karate is not good. Or why it is inferior to the other arts.

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe this has happend many times before. I do not think any style is inferiorer

-SoulAssassin

"I aint gonna eat, I aint gonna sleep, aint gonna breath till I see what I wanna see and what I wanna see is you goto asleep, in the dirt permanently"

Karate like any other style or sport is only as good as you put into it. It all depends on what you are looking for and want to acheive from your training. Everything written here is as informative as all get out, but must be taken with a "grain of salt".

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

there is nothing wrong with karate. many people, fear or discourage things they know little of. I do honestly believe though that the majority of the people on this site are openminded and not as quick to judge another's style :)

Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo, 17 Years Old 1st kyu Brown Belt in in Goju Ryu Karate-do, & Shodan in Okinawan Kobudo

Given enough time, any man may master the physical. With enough knowledge, any man may become wise. It is the true warrior who can master both....and surpass the result.

I AM CANADIAN

The reason I ask is that I havne't started martial arts and I'm still somewhat browsing what I'd like to take. I just want to know if there is any valid points behind what these people are saying. i.e. karate is mainly kata and has nothing to do with self defense

those kind of things that i've heard

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

Ok, what is really meant is "The training methods usually associated with karate are inferior to other available methods."

I see that as an important distinction which tends to keep things a little more civil and productive.

Its not really the "style" as much as it is the "traditional" mindset and methods that are critisized. These things are generally associated with certain arts Karate, TKD, etc. As a result the "name" becomes the target rather then the "methods" and "attitude" which are what is really being critisized.

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!