• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well, nice story but I don't know if it's true or not, but it just about works for a white, yellow, orange, brown, black progression....

May have happened for some people, but the modern system of colored student ranks and black trainee ranks were simply invented by Jigoro Kano (the founder of Judo).

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Hapkido class used:

white

yellow

green (two degrees)

blue (four degrees)

red (six degrees)

black

The degrees weren't stripes on the belt or anything, I think that's actually taking it a little too far. They were just stages within the belts really. There was no physical indicator of it.

Now in Kempo and Jujitsu both it goes:

white

yellow

orange

blue

green

purple

brown (three degrees)

black

various red and white belts (which I don't quite know the rules of yet... haven't really asked beyond casual conversation)

I tend to prefer belt systems without belt degrees before black (stripes seem tacky and contrived to me, but that's just my own preference), without a lot of colors (I kinda like BJJ's limited use of them), and then nothing but a worn, frayed, beat up black belt beyond that :).

I've also heard about some systems returning to white belt at "mastery". That sounds appealing to me too but I don't know much about it.

1st Dan Hapkido

Colored belts in Kempo and Jujitsu

I don't study karate - mantis boxing.

At the club i attend you don't recieve a white sash for quite a long time. After white sash there is black.

We don't wear our sashes unless we're doing a demo. I guess that's the beauty of drawstring sweat pants.

As for progress, you can see where you are by the techniques and forms that you have learned.

The Aki Jujitsu dojo I go to when I'm at home runs from White to Black and that's it. No extra degrees of black, once you're there you're there.

White

Yellow

Orange

Green

Blue

Brown (Have to go open your own dojo at this point)

Black