Orange

Blue

Green

Purple

High Purple

Brown

Brown + stripe

Black

Then degrees of black. it takes us AT LEAST 3 months between belts to qualify to test, but when I first came, since I had a belt from my old school , and didn't know the kata's , it took me four months to learn 7 of them and basics. Then, I passed my test. It's a hard test.

Peace,

Dee :karate:

Dee C.

Normal ( 'nor-m&l)-

an adj. used by humans to stereotype

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

White

Gold

Orange

Green

Blue

Red

3rd Degree Brown

2nd Degree Brown

1st Degree Brown (Black Belt Candidate)

Black (1st Degree/Dan)

Best regards,

Jack Makinson

For my Okinawan Karate style it goes:

White

Blue One Srtipe

Blue Two Stripes

Blue Three Stripes

Green One Srtipe

Green Two Stripes

Green Three Stripes

Brown One Stripe

Brown Two Stripes

Brown Three Stripes

Shodan

And So On...

It's what you put into it...

1st kyu-Okinawa Shorin Ryu Matsumura Seito Federation

White

Blue One Srtipe

Blue Two Stripes

Blue Three Stripes

Green One Srtipe

Green Two Stripes (I'm here)

Green Three Stripes (soon to be here)

Brown One Stripe

Brown Two Stripes

Brown Three Stripes

Shodan

And So On...

It's what you put into it...

1st kyu-Okinawa Shorin Ryu Matsumura Seito Federation

• 6 months later...

Our karate school uses:

new student white

6th kyu blue

5th kyu blue

4th kyu green

3rd kyu green

2nd kyu brown

1st kyu brown

black

I've also been to an Okinawan style in which you had to earn the white belt too, i.e. new student wore no gi and no belt. After a couple of months you had a white belt test, and if you passed you got to use gi+white belt. After that it was yellow, orange, green, blue, brown, black. One kyu rank per color (except dan ranks of course).

okay I dont get all this, Why do some clubs have only five belts before black and others have about 10, We have about 10 (karate international) and why does some red belts come before black? and why do some clubs have blue instead of green and green instead of brown. CANT THEY PICK A NORMAL SYSTEM FOR ALL CLUBZ!!!!!!!!!!!! Soooooo confusing

Well, an art is an art and it is not the same as an art. Comparing an Aikidoka to a Kungfu guy is like comparing a flight captain to a ship captain. Two entire different things, you can't have one single system by which you rank each.

If we simplify it to the basics (this means that there are lots of exceptions and second opinions, so don't get all heated up if you have a different story):

A black belt traditionally (well, it's not a very long tradition but for a few decades anyway) usually means that you have learned all (or at least most) of the basic techniques of the style (all different punches, blocks, kicks, throws, etc.) and usually also been introduced to some basic applications of them each (i.e. how to combine blocks and punches, where the kicks fit in, how to incorporate the throws).

After the black belt you start to really dig into how the whole system fits together, you are trained in good use of the basics in all possible situations.

Okay, there are exceptions to the above description of what a black belt means, but this is more or less the usually used system.

Now, think about an art which has 30 basic techniques. Compare it to an art which has 300 basic techniques. How do you divide and compare them equally? One of the arts teaches 30 individual techniques and then considers you a black belt as you are now ready to dig into full application of them. Other art has to teach you 300 techniques until you can start using them all together. If it takes the '30tech' art three years to get the black belt, then the other art would take 30 years? Not good. Maybe a black belt should mean the student has three years under his belt? Well, the '30tech' art has ample time to teach all its basics, but the '300tech' art would have to quickly rush through all it's basics to fulfill that requirement!

Now we have a dilemma, how is it solved? And the answer is: Nobody has the "right" answer. Different schools organize it in different ways. If the '300tech' art wants to hand out black belts in same amount as the '30tech' art, then it has to give black belts to students who don't yet know all the basics. Maybe after 60 techniques? Okay, now we have black belt students in a reasonable number of years. But how can these students teach, if they themselves don't know all the techniques? Again many ways to solve it. One often used way is to have a rule that a teacher must be at least 3rd dan. Or whatever is seen fit. Or give partial licence to 1st degree and full licence at 4th dan. Or give teaching licence to 1st dan, but require higher rank to hand out ranks! These are all "correct" ways to solve the problem and also in use in different organizations.

Remember that there are styles where 5th dan is the highest possible. Compare this to arts which have 5th dan as the minimum rank you can start your own dojo! You can't compare them. But the idea stays the same - 1st degree black belt usually knows most of the basics and that is what matters. He is the student who is getting taught how it all fits together according to the style's tactics.

And the color ranks below black? Well, compare the '30tech' art to the '300tech' art. Of course it is easier to test if a student knows 10 new techniques than if he knows a 100 new techniques, so the other art will have it's curriculum chipped into more slices.

The '30tech' art could be an art with only blocks, punches and kicks. The '300tech' art could be an art with all those, plus throws, grappling, weapons training, etc. Most arts would probably be found somewhere in between. (Notice, I numbered basics, not the whole curriculum of combined techniques).

Hope this helps your understanding of the differing ranking systems.

I'd heard that originally, while the gi was washed (for hygiene reasons!) the belt of a martial artist was never washed, to show their experience. Obviously, as they trained more and more in the same belt, the belt would darken to show their experience, until eventually it would be virtually black.... Well, nice story but I don't know if it's true or not, but it just about works for a white, yellow, orange, brown, black progression....

Currently: Kickboxing and variants.

Previously: Karate (Seido, Shotokan, Seidokan), Ju Jitsu, Judo, Aikido, Fencing.

In Ki Aikido:

White

Yellow

Orange

Green

Blue

Brown

1st to 4th Dan is a black belt + Hakama

4th to 6th is white + White Hakama

6th-8th is white and red + White Hakama

8th- white + White Hakama.

I think.