• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

General Question, Can anyone help?

I was wondering if anyone could help me with a few problems.

I have mainly studied Tang Soo Do and held a BrownBelt going for my BlackBelt test. During that time I took a tournament class my sensi was holding. We learned a variety of arts. American Karate, Tae Kwon Do, Grappling, Pressure Points, and a bunch of throws. I had to leave the school for money purposes and I recently went back to try and start again but they left and no one has even heard of them (Korean Karate Academey). The only problem with taking the class he never told us what style we were learning, he would teach us the moves without the names of them. He would put us in a meditative states and hit us with a little wooden stick and train us from there. He never taught us the philosphy behind anything either. I then kept training with a few close friends to keep my knowledge of what I know. What I am getting at is I never got my blackbelt though I would like to get it. I dont remember most of my kata and I cant remember move names, I get the styles messed up - I cannot just use tang so do, i would end up useing grappling etc.. I only know how to perform in combat. What can I do!? :(

-SoulAssassin

"I aint gonna eat, I aint gonna sleep, aint gonna breath till I see what I wanna see and what I wanna see is you goto asleep, in the dirt permanently"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
tang soo do and tae kwon do are very similar arts and usually (not always, but usually) american karate is based off of one of these two arts, its just been americanized a little.(not as traditional). so what you could do is find a tkd or tsd dojang and speak with the instructor, some will honor higher ranks from a previous style,(brown/black)(I will if the person shows knowlege of his claims.) if you have cert. of tests and rank it may help.but you will still be required to learn all thats needed by the new dojo/dojang before being able to test, so you may still be looking at a year or so before getting that b.b.

I do not have any proof besides some moves :-\ When we got belts there was no paper certification. I only know my first form ever and I do not even know the name of that. Its not that I want a B.B. just to 'show off' I dont think the belt makes the knowledge or anything, so starting over would not be the problem, only the money would. hehe.. I would love to take ninjitsu though if anyone knows of a school..

-SoulAssassin

"I aint gonna eat, I aint gonna sleep, aint gonna breath till I see what I wanna see and what I wanna see is you goto asleep, in the dirt permanently"

Why do you say he got ripped?

Because there is no paper?

Who cares? Paper doesn't mean anything.

If the skills where good, he had fun and didn't get lied too about what he was getting where is the problem?

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

I do not have any proof besides some moves :-\ When we got belts there was no paper certification. I only know my first form ever and I do not even know the name of that. Its not that I want a B.B. just to 'show off' I dont think the belt makes the knowledge or anything, so starting over would not be the problem, only the money would. hehe.. I would love to take ninjitsu though if anyone knows of a school..

And the majority of the time even with paper certification when you switch arts or style you start over as a white belt anyway. Which should not be a problem if you train for any reason other than just to inflate your ego.

And the majority of the time even with paper certification when you switch arts or style you start over as a white belt anyway. Which should not be a problem if you train for any reason other than just to inflate your ego.

Ouch, that hurt a bit. I ment I would like to get my black belt in that art. The problem is, my school is not there anymore. Another problem was, when I inducted the tournament class we 'learned a variety of styles' and 'studied under meditation'. He did not fully say okay you hit your oppentent's pressure point on this spot (gb-26) at this type of angle, with this much force and thats a style. He said this is a 'weakspot' or a 'pressurepoint' and said hit it like this in this spot. What I am getting at is he didnt tell us the styles we learned from so I am not sure if I would be useing tang soo do, jujitsu, tae kwon do etc... When I went into the tournament class we did not learn kata either, we progressed and got belts when we were able to Demonstrate what we learned affectively. See where I am getting at? My Martial Arts knowledge feels fake because its all sorts of messed up and my school isnt even there anymore to go back and see what they did.. I ask around about it but its like it wasnt even there no one knows what I am talking about..

-SoulAssassin

Sounds like he was mixing in a few different arts, into a general Korean blend of them. A lot of it sounds like Hapkido, except for the forms.

Don't think of it as fake, just a general knowledge base. Don't bother tracking down another one, because it was probably not an organized style. Look for a Hapkido, TSD, TKD, or Kuk Sool Won school to join. You'll be able to apply you basics and get the "philosophy" behind the moves.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.