• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Help with improving My weak side!!!!!!!!

I was wondering if anyone had any tips on improving your weakside (left side)? I have practiced at times on just my left side (example jump side kick) and stoping when I thought I had it down. Then the next day it is like my body had forgoten all I have done, and the kick looks unrehearsed and poor.

Maybe I need more work but any help would be much appreciated. :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Same here. Good thread. My TKD school does everything on the right side (like step sparring, ect). My TSD school did both sides. Since I been here, my left side suffered :( I can kick head height with my right, but not my left :(

Laurie F

Don't do the things one sided..

what i did was for kicking for example... i did one kick with the left and then one kick with the right, left, right, left, right. One each side.

Also practice with targets, that helps a lot too.

We always train both sides equally at our school (TKD) but more often than not, our dominant side emerges and so we need to train differently when we see that we favor this side more.

If you are ever in a real self-defense situation, you probably won't be able to choose which leg to kick with or which hand to punch, so both must be equally strong.

You must focus on training your weaker side first and force yourself to use that side when sparring. Switching your stance when sparring can also help keep you focus on making your techniques sharp.

We do both sides as well. Sometimes I feel that instead of doing an equal number of tech with each side maybe it would be better to do the weak side say 10 extra times. This would help to overcome your preference for the strong side and weakness on the weak side. What say the masses?

"Jita Kyoei" Mutual Benefit and Welfare

Training both sides of the body equally is one of the basic training tenets of the traditional striking arts. If your school does not so this when you do your private training start with your weak side and do it first with every technique you practice.

In my school we also work both sides equally, but at home I concentrate on my left.

It just seems like the progress is slower on my left side.

Thank you for all of your advice!!!!

Until you get your left side "up to speed", so to speak, you can try practicing techniques twice as much on your left side as your right side.

So if you do 10 roundhouse kicks with your right leg, you should do 20 with your left. That way you still keep your right side sharp and don't end up switching dominant sides ;)

Once you get equally good with both sides (something I'm sure we would all envy), practice them in equal amounts.

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.