• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fitness requirements

What are the fitness/conditioning requirements at your dojo/dojang/kwoon/gym? Do you have to be able to perform a certain number of pushups, or do a bleep test to a certain level at a certain grade? Is age or sex taken into consideration?

I want to introduce a progressive fitness program into the class with achievable goals and measures of performance. Any suggestions?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At my old school when you reached brown belt you could be "invited" to attend Special Training which was held every Saturday morning starting 2 months before each BlackBelt Test (we had 2 a year). At red belt you were expected to attend and if you were eligible for the BB test it was required. Special Training consisted of 2-3 mile run up a mountain road, wind sprints, kicking drills, mega sets of pushups and situps, firemans carry, stepups, basics, forms, and whatever else they could think of. By the time the test came around you should be in shape for testing-and if you attended every special training from brown belt up you definetly had an advantage at the test. Our BB tests were 2-3 days (depending on what dan), the 3rd day was intense physical conditioning for 2-3 hours.

During lower belt level classes conditioning consisted of pushups, sit ups, plyometrics, and an occasional "boot camp" week.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

No we don't

The physical training alone gets us in pretty good shape but I approach karate like this.

People pay for classes to learn to kick, punch, do Kata, etc. Not to do push ups, set ups, etc.

I mix in a lot of physical exercises in class like squat kicks and isometric punching and stuff but we will never get down and do push ups before class.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

we don't really have any. You're basically expected to push hard for most of the 3 hour practice. If you're out of shape you hold up the class while we wait for you to complete the form,drill,conditioning or technique. No mercy on out of shape sparring partners either. People often find a second wind after being pummeled for a while.

In my capoeira class (i am a student), we do a bit of movement specific conditioning, but most of the training is moves. I think too much conditioning in class robs the fun of attending class. Anyway, it is a martial arts class, not a conditioning class. I do most of my coditioning outside class.

No ginga, no capoeira

No berimbau, no capoeira

No roda, no capoeira