• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

To bounce or not to bounce?

one of the key rules of sparring to be succesful in it, is to always move,

and thus by always bouncing you should be a more efficent and productive fighter, by always being in a position to those snappy kicks and being able to retreat and move to the side and move as quickly as possible

Brown Sash Hsing I/Lau Gar Kung Fu

Brown Belt San Shou

17 yr old

http://www.selfdefencehelp.co.uk

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

EVERYTHING in the Martial Arts is a compromise... Bouncing will keep you lighter on your feet and help you move forward, backward, sideways, etc. much quicker than having your feet planting. From a T.K.D. standpoint it is basically essential. The compromise is by being light on your feet and not having your feet planted you lose power. Stronger stances and firmly planted feet will "usually" generate more power. So I would say bouncing at further ranges to allow for quicker offense and defense but on the inside while you were battling it out a flat foot stance MAY be more beneficial to take your opponent out.

summary:

bouncing: faster but less power

Flat foot: Slower but more power

Keep in mind that speed does equal power also. Isn't the Martial Arts so confusing???? lol

Plus so much depends on the individual because everyone is different. Best advice for you is to try both methods and see which one works better for you.

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!

Bouncing up and down in one place is suicide. Why? because when you go up in the air I will attack before you hit the ground again. If you are in a static stance keep your heels on the ground, this will allow you to attack or escape quicker. Once you are moving, however, shift to the balls of your feet never just bounce in one place. your two goals should be to 1. Be a moving target, and 2. keep your opponent off balance while you can find an angle to exploit. For extra credit find some of Muhammad Ali's old fights and study them carefully. You won't be sorry. :nod:

Ti-Kwon-Leap

"Annoying the ignorant since 1961"

Im not the fastest guy around. I really dont bounce, I kind of stalk I just keep moving steadily. I found that a good amount of upper body movements and head faking tend to throw off an opponent.

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

• 4 weeks later...

you dont really have to bounce like high you know. bouncing means staying light on your feet. but yes, when you fight bounce. dont get yourself stuck in a fixed stance. you can't move as fast and you moves become easier to see comming. bouncing adds an element of faking much better. you can bounce in a rhythm and then just a lil flinch or change in rythm is enough to fake a lot of people. so bounce bounce flinch, boom then go. thats just a lil example. the more mobile you can get the better. oh yeah, heels on ground is a no no. too slow to move and it doesnt give you more power. You can push of your toes but not your heels. If you do bounce in one place and never move yes you will get destroyed but the whole point of bouncing is not bouncing in one place, its bouncing as you are moving around the ring. I thought the days of fighting in a fixed traditional stance with your heels planted firmly was done away with when brue lee came.

[ This Message was edited by: crazydee on 2002-06-01 18:06 ]

• 10 months later...
bouncing is great. Many people find different ways to bounce. If your out of range with ur opponent than bounce however you like. Closer in, you can't bounce up and down because they may catch your unawares. If you like to pick off or counter then don't move too much. Your not initiating the attack so you don't have to worry about telegraphing. If you are initiating the attack, then fake, fake with all your might if your standing still.

The moon shines on

The waters not present

In an undug well

Yields forth a man

With neither shadow nor form