• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

To bounce or not to bounce?

You should allways move, but never bounce. The head should stay at the same level. Proper foot maneuvers will keep you light on your feet and elusive without the telegraphing and rythm of bouncing. They also keep your base on the ground where you are less susceptable to sweeps. If you bounce, you are going to land in a pretty well defined spot. All the opponent has to do is be at that same spot with his strike. Good foot maneuvers, on the other hand, are flexable- they can be changed or redirected in mid step. Foot maneuvers also move through stances, so all you have to do is solidify your stance the moment you strike and you have your base for a power shot. Best of both worlds!

Freedom isn't free!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By bouncing it will help you stay mobile. When your feet are firmly planted you will be more rooted and a bit more solid but it will slow you down. Everything is a compromise and you need to figure which works for you.

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!

You should always have the ability to perform either bouncing or foot manuevers at will. You should never fall into the pattern of using one over the other because you never know when it could be a detriment.

Don't bounce for the sake of bouncing. Everything you do should have a reason behind it.

I personally like to use good ole footwork and manuevers most of the fight so that the opponent can not accurately gauge your true speed and ofcourse it doesn't telegraph your movements as much. Also when you appear to be more static you can lure the opponent into more oppurtunities for you to use counter attacks and interceptions. I will usually pull out bouncing as a way to be more lightfooted, especially if the opponent likes to charge, is very offensive, and becomes angry. In that situation I think that the best way to keep proper distancing and mobility is to bounce.

"Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. Put water into a tea pot, it becomes the tea pot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friend."

- Bruce Lee

From various instructor and styles of martial arts I have heard two different answers.

Some said that bouncing is bad thing because it waste energy, but on the otherhand I've heard other instructor said that bouncing is the key in sparring and fighting.

yeh bouncing waste energy, but if you have energy stored then you should bounce. preparing yourself with energy before you spar would make up sparring sesssion with good spars. you should eat and drink water 2 hours before you spar or otherwise injuries would occur.

bouncing is a good thing, besides it doesnt waste that much energy because you can bouce lightly, slowly instead lively fast e.t.c. you bounce to suit yourself when sparring. yeh boucing is one of the key factors in sparring because its shows you are trying and are ready to explode you moves. e.g. you can bounce for while, throw continous punches for while, bounce for while, dodging technqiues thrown from spar partner, bounce for while analysing your distancing, timing, accuracy, footwork of the spar partner. bounce for a while to set yourself up for specific direct move, bounce for a while and defending/offending opponents moves e.t.c.

its like if you dont bounce your not trying, and if your not trying your not willing and putting effort in. another factor while boucing is chances of injury is decreased as blood and oxygen circulate around the body more warming up your muscles more, enabling better techniques to be executed e.t.c. whereas if you just dont move on the spot and suddenly explode then you could easily pull a muscle or unexpect your spar partners moves because your footwork isnt ready .et.c.

• 1 month later...

In general I have found boucing to be ineffective. In my first style I was taught to bounce and use it to move and it worked for me in this style. Then I tried a harder more fighting focused style and got my beans from someone who had not done much and many others who had just been around a little while.

This was because I bounced and moved around a lot. Now I do not bounce but I step and move fast. And I love to spar anyone who bounces.

The main issue I have with bouncing is that if you kick the legs when they are in mid bounce you can kick them all over.

like anything in life test it and understand it. If it works for you then use it if not leave it and move on.

Strive to be the best you can be

• 2 weeks later...

Jerrylove wrote:

OTOH, if you are bouncing I sure know what rythem you will be attacking / defending off of

How so ?

Which part of the guys body are you watching ?

How do you manage to time his rhythm ?

How do you manage not to let on that your timing his rhythm?

If a guy is watching my feet he'll get a head shot.

If a guy is watching my head he'll get a body shot.

If i think hes catching on to my rhythm i could change my rhythm then switch leads.

I could fake a body shot switch leads then go for a head shot.

Any of those things can be done in a second or even a fraction of a second.

My opponent has no idea im going to do any of these things by watching my rhythm. As I have many rhythms.

When people bounce around on me I just keep my distance and wait for them to commit to an attack. Then I close the distance and destroy.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"