• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

To bounce or not to bounce?

From various instructor and styles of martial arts I have heard two different answers.

Some said that bouncing is bad thing because it waste energy, but on the otherhand I've heard other instructor said that bouncing is the key in sparring and fighting.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A person should be light on their feet.. I tend to keep my wieght on my toes and shuffle around, not so much bouncing. If you are bouncing in a rythmic patter, then your opponent can time when to kick you while you are in the air and you'll have no way to defend. So if you are going to bounce, do it erratically and don't keep a rythm and don't bounce too high in the air. It's better to shuffle step around than to bounce.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.

good point thaiken.... keep moving and as long as you don't stand still waiting to respond to your opponent.......... :nod:

rushman (karate forums sensei)

3rd dan wtf/kukkiwon

"saying nothing...sometimes says the most"--e. dickerson

Bouncing is good, just not up and down. Bounce forward and back. If you can, make your front foot move twice as fast as your back so they can't time you and at least one foot is always on the ground.

"Never hit a man while he's down; kick him, its easier"

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

• 7 months later...

Bouncing is essential in the form of sparring that i was tought. Movement hides movement. No, don't bounce like you were on a trampoline, if fact when i bounce i don't even leave the ground. If you aren't moveing, the second you start to attack your opponent can pick it up. I would love to spar somebody who doesn't move.

I've put my instep through 5 boards, are you that thick?

Bouce for speed and plant you feet for the solid powerful shots. So a bit of both.

I bounce coz when i stand still i intimidate my opponents they then tend to tense up and i find it hard to open them up to pick the shots.

Good footwork beats everythng!!

Bretty

If you bounce in a broken pattern and move forward and back, don't forget your lateral movement. Also if you move your lower half, then move your upper half with some bobbing & weaving :razz: :up:

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

GO THE BOUNCE!!!!

i reckon the bounce is great....and if u do this while staring into their eyes it is a big intimidator!!! the bounce (is performed well)..can "hide" ur attack!!....it means that the lunge off ur back foot isnt as obvious!!

if it is point sparring it doesnt actually waste much energy at all...and it gets u psyched up in tournament!!! : :evil: .....u can do both in the one figh aswell...thats always fun!!

boo!