• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hapkido vs Combat Hapkido

I have two choices from 2 instructors in this area.

One instructor told me that he will not train me in Hapkido unless I learn TKD first.

The second instructor will teach me Hapkido now, except his form is Combat Hapkido.

Could someone please tell me what the difference is in Combat Hapkido and Hapkido. I am wanting to learn a martial that will include mental training (meditation etc etc) and not just physical. Thanks in Advance.

Nick

"A man can fail many times, but a man is not a failure until he blames someone else"

"I will not fear...

Fear is the mind killer...

I will let my fear pass right through me..."

Dune.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

From what you said, I would advise you learn traditional Hapkido. There shouldn't be any need to learn TKD first, though. Unless the instructor you spoke to, teaches both TKD and Hapkido together (mixed not seperate).

Combat Hapkido doesn't have the "tradition." I'm not "dissing" it because I have learned it along side TSD. But it's mainly just techniques. It doesn't have the "mental" part of Hapkido. It is good self defense just the same, though. Both types of Hapkido are amazing arts. But if you are like me, I like the "mental" part of Hapkido as well as the techniques.

Watch classes at both schools. And take a class or two at both schools. See which one you like better :)

Laurie F

• 3 months later...

:-? WHAT??? Why on earth would a Hapkido Instructor tell a potentail student the he/she has to learn Tae Kwon Do before he can teach him Hapkido? One answer he is full of b00l$iitt!!

If you went to a Shotokan School (To learn Shotokan of course) then why would you want to learn (Or better yet accept the instructors bee Es that you'll have to learn Ninjutsu first?

They are both Japanese but two different systems.

What you have here is another Tae Kwon Do teacher who prbably knows a few Judo throws & a couple of arm bars & mixes it with some Tae Kwon Do kicks (Outside of the TKD he already teaches) & Tah Dah instant Hapkido.

If I was in your position I'd keep looking or take up CBH or something else if I was just interested in forms, breathing & meditation (which I do now & really enjoy... But if that was my choice...

You get the picture I'm sure

Don't worry your pretty little head young lady,

I gotta black belt in Chop sockey, Kop Kee Do & Dairy Doo! I can hanel a 20 British Marines & a hunn ed cooks. -hic-burrp! Bartender?........

What you have here is another Tae Kwon Do teacher who prbably knows a few Judo throws & a couple of arm bars & mixes it with some Tae Kwon Do kicks (Outside of the TKD he already teaches) & Tah Dah instant Hapkido.

I have to agree that it sounds quite suspicious. In the event the Combat Hapkido dojang has done away with the meditation, you could try looking into Aikido schools as well. Depending on location, you might find a Kuk Sool Won school as well.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

Believe it or not, I don't think it's that uncommon. I originally started learning TKD from a place that would only let you take Hapkido after you had earned your Black Belt from him in TKD. He explained that he didn't believe a student had the "maturity and experience" necessary to be effective at HKD unless he/she had a background in the basics.

What I now know to be the truth (I didn't stay at the school long) was that he was definitely "Business" side of TKD. Don't get me wrong, profits are always good. He wasn't exactly a McDojo, but he was more interested in opening another Dojang in the area than teaching. He let his Junior Blackbelts run the classes until you got to a higher level and then he'd run it. Turns out only he and one other instructor COULD teach Hapkido, so he used it as a reason to keep people training after they had gotten their blackbelt. Of course, he mostly taught the Sport TKD, so HKD was the first self-defense training many had ever seen.

I don't believe the instructor was unqualified or suspicious, he just tried to push students into the area where he already had "economies of scale" taking place and he could make more money for less input than if he had to become more directly involved with teaching Hapkido to anyone that came in off the street for the same amount of money.

There's a guy in town that tested for his black belt in Combat Hapkido via video tape. He does his throws and locks with all power and force and it isn't hapkido.

2cents

• 2 weeks later...

im already study both hapido and tkd here at uni. the hapkido class is fairly new and the instructor (Master Kim Beom, 7thdan hapkido, 5th dan tkd) told everyone when we started kicking that we would learn to kick the hapkido way because it was a hapkido class, he didnt care if we were tkd or kung fu or karate. it is pretty dodgy for someone to tell you you have to learn another different martial art before he will teach you his.

hapkido does rock tho, you should definately take it up :)