• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is it a good idea to study two arts at the same time?

Just me but I would stick with what I was in until I made Dan. I don't belive in quiting anything I start. Now if you dislike your teacher or class times conflict or something like that then well its differant. But like the old saying goes don't change horses in mid stream.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But say you were to take karate and aikido the pirincables of each would contradict each other.

I don't think they would contradict. You could use the kicks and punches (plus the wonderful sweeps from karate), add some joint locks and ... it would make you quite rounded. Add some judo and it's OK. That's what I intend to do. The first step is that I already included some moves from both Aikido and Judo in my training and in some months I'll take Aikido and/or Judo.

They wouldn't contradict too much, especially because they have a common language and some philosophical stuff that could be interconnected. Just a personal view

thanks guys. that helped me out a lot, but remember, i'm still a white belt in karate and i'm going to start chinese boxing next week. is that still wise?

"By the time I was fifteen, I became a white belt."

Iron Fist. The problem is not if we find it wise. Don't mind us :) We are just talking here trying to give advice and always seeing everything through OUR eyes. It doesn't mean we are wrond, but it doesn't mean we have all the answers either :)

You have begun karate and intend doing chinese boxing? Good for you ...

There are 2 possibilities: they look much alike (have no idea what c.boxing is, just assuming :D). The result: it would help you because you find a "common ground"\

Situation 2. They are very different. Again ... could be an advantage: you'll become rounded and find techniques in an art that are not present in the other. If you like them ... just do it.

A final though, though. In my OWN OPINNION: it's too early to start a second MA. Karate takes some time to master and it would be better to spend the time doing the techniques. A second art means you'll have to "split" and hinder your progress. You could wait until you are advanced in karate and then take a second style. BUT, you could also have some special abilities. Maybe you are a quick learner or just want to do them both. Any case, do what you think it's right for you. If you are ready for the task go and do what you know you can do.

Good luck and of course keep us posted

Personally, I'd suggest against taking a second martial art if you're only a white belt. Especially if you're planning on taking two "similar" arts (i.e. two traditional striking arts). They'll likely use different stances, different ways of kicking and punching, and have different forms (katas, patterns, etc). It'd be extremely easy to get things mixed up between classes.

With that said you might want to check out the chinese boxing anyway and see if it appeals to you more than karate. It seems to have caught your interest.

I'd say to stick with one because you are a white belt.

Go and see the Chinese Boxing school and if you like there more. Then do that. But try to stick with one until you build up very good and strong basics.

And im agree with the idea of choosing as a second art to crosstrain, An Art that is oposite to what you are already learning.

Chinese Boxing and Karate are striking Arts so the better choice to crosstrain is taking a Grappling Art like Judo,Jiu-jitsu, etc...

When I was still a Karate white belt, I took up Judo and found the combination fantastic. I'd heartily recommend taking up two arts (if you have the time) when they're quite different.

If they're similar though (both predominantly striking arts, for example) I think you need more of a solid grounding in the first art before taking the second - say a couple of year's practice (green/brown belt kind of level). That should be enough to prevent learning the second art confusing you in the first one.

Just my opinion though.

Currently: Kickboxing and variants.

Previously: Karate (Seido, Shotokan, Seidokan), Ju Jitsu, Judo, Aikido, Fencing.

I am in Karate, and when I see Kung Fu I don't see how you could mistake the two. One Chinese (softer) one is Japanese (harder). But then again I am already a green belt. But I'd say you should do it.

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.