• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is it a good idea to study two arts at the same time?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't knwo much about chinese boxing. If you were to take say shotokan karate and shudokan karate. it shouldn't conflict too much. But say you were to take karate and aikido the pirincables of each would contradict each other.

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

Well then if your still in the kyu ranks of karate stick one that, once your get to 1st or 2nd dan take the chinese boxing

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

I know someone who does karate and kung fu, and he feels they complement eachother well,

but on the other hand, "the hunter who chases two rabits catches neither one."

22 years old

Shootwrestling

Formerly Wado-Kai Karate

It's usually a better idea to study an art that completes the waekenesses of another, or focuses on other aspect...some example would be

Boxing-Judo

muay thai-BJJ

karate-jiu jitsu

just to make a few examples.

A lot in a choice like that depends on how far along you are in the first art. My 'opinion' is that one should have a good grounding in the basics in the first art before starting a second. And too a lot depends on the individual person. Like the way some can take college level Sociology and Psychology at the same time and some can't.

I do TKD and Judo. I think they work well together. Maybe it's because I'm just a white belt in Judo, but I have experience in the Korean "stand up" arts, and I think Judo complements TKD. I'm enjoying both, and I'm not getting confused, because they are totally different arts.

Laurie F