• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Learning Karate from a book

EpicMasterpiece

I don't advice learning from books and videos either, unless you have some background and/or understanding of basics. I would try a YMCA. Most MA prgrams there are dirt cheap, and once a week. I pay only $20 every six weeks for Judo. I do believe that they are good videos out there that could help, though. But it takes time to hunt them out. Once you find one that shows proper technique and explain them well, like omnifinite said, when you "feel" the technique, you know you did it right ;) But that also takes practice.

Laurie F

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Books and videos can help.

The only problem is that there is no one telling you if you are doing something wrong.

If you are going to learn from video or book you may want to find someone to send a video tape to so that they can critique you and tell you how you are doing.

If you want, I would be able to do that (up to 1st dan) for Shotokan Karate. But, you would have to contact me so I could tell you which books or videos to learn from and give you my information. I would not charge you anything, you would just have to send me the tape at your own expense.

• 1 month later...
Martial arts books and videos are just like any other technical manuals, unless you know the langauge volumes are lost in the interpretation. We spend years learning to mimic and read other people's movements. We can translate this literacy into the ability to gain an overview of a different kata, movement, or technique through reference material. First you must learn the language. I suggest that you find an instructor who will work with your need for flexibility.

"Persistence outweighs natural ability."

"If we were interested in using brute force alone it would not be karate."