• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well, though that is very much true, however you might want to try employing hip motion into Wing Chun techniques. Just because Wing Chun doesn't have hip motions orignally, doesn't mean you can't add it in. I have studied a little bit of Wing Chun, and in my techniques, I added the hip motions. When I used the hips, power in those techniques were more effective than just using arm strength and feet pivoting alone. I also think that is why Bruce Lee incorporated hip movements in his techniques.

That is why I think that the one inch punch priciples don't only to demonstrate chinese martial arts, but to demonstrate to ALL martial arts in general

I read over my previous posting as well, and I wish to re-word this. The one inch punch is not to demonstrate martial arts teachings or styles, but rather the idea of expanding on martial arts instead of sticking to what was taught or what is traditional. It is to demonstrate hip motion with a style that was not originally taught with hip use, which when added can show aweing effects. It was made to open up eyes, to incorporate anything that can make one a better fighter even if it was not taught traditionally.

I hope this clears up on what I was trying to get at. Even though hip motion with Wing Chun is effective when I incorporate it, it may not be favored with everyone. It is simply recommened. Its not a matter of right and wrong in martial arts in my opinion.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, usage of the hips is very important in MA. My Sifu already knew this and so has added in usage of the hips in our Wing Chun training.

"Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. Put water into a tea pot, it becomes the tea pot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friend."

- Bruce Lee

Well in the Tradition of Budo Taijutsu using the hips while keeping your back or Spine perpendicular to the ground and moving your entire body as one unit when you strike, makes the strike much more powerful than just using the strength of your arms. It takes a while to learn this and most styles don't even touch on this, certain Arts lost these basic but crucial technique over time, but if you incorporate this understanding into any of the Arts including Boxing your punches wll be more effective and you will use less energy.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

Bruce Lee's application of such techniques as the one and three inch punches were in fact demonstrations. As was stated before (forgive me for not giving credit, I'm using the quick reply) Lee's background was in wing chun. MOST punches in WC are from the elbow. The 1in puch was developed as an evolution of fajing and western boxing. The idea being that you would pivot on the balls if your feet, then bring your hips around, then bring your shoulders. the twisting from the ground up would put the momentum of your body behind a punch and developing more force and efficiency than using your arms alone. it also has the benefit of eliminating the chance that you will telegraph. Bruce explained it in terms of a tree. Trees grow from the roots, up the trunk, through the branches, and out to the leaves. By beginning a punch at the roots (feet) you can develop tremendous power in remarkably short distance. It isn't really that practical to throw punches from a few inches, not because the technique is ineffective, but because more often we have more room, and more distance to generate power. The principle behind the idea though can be demonstrated by examining a simple boxing combo. For example, Fighter A throws a jab at Fighter B. Fighter B slips the jab and counters with an overhand right, pivoting his body to the left and shifting his weight slightly forward. This sets up the fighter to pivot back to the right _explosively_, then driving his hips, and finally bringing his shoulders around to deliver a crushing right hook to the body. Done properly, that hook travels a total of 6-10 inches, depending on the fighter.

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog."

Thanks for that explanation The Ryno, that is what my user name is Treebranch, it is your body that delivers the blow not the arm.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

It isn't really that practical to throw punches from a few inches, not because the technique is ineffective, but because more often we have more room, and more distance to generate power.

If MMA competition has taught us anything, it's that the belief that you can count on an ability to control range is a false one.

short-distance power would be of obvious use in grappling, in close areas, and in directions where longers power-options are not available.

Not to mention that additng the short-range power techniques to long range power hits only adds to the force.

The one inch punch is not to demonstrate martial arts teachings or styles, but rather the idea of expanding on martial arts instead of sticking to what was taught or what is traditional. It is to demonstrate hip motion with a style that was not originally taught with hip use, which when added can show aweing effects. It was made to open up eyes, to incorporate anything that can make one a better fighter even if it was not taught traditionally.

if you think that the 1 inch punch was an expansion on martial arts made by bruce lee your very wrong. thats a part of wing chun and there are many wing chun masters that can execute it with a lot more force than he ever did.

style:wing chun

Don't try to predict the outcome of a fight. just let nature take its course.

also when i said wing chun doesnt use hip power, i meant that it just doesnt do it in the same way that karate does. of course you use every part of your body when you punch, starting from the ground up, but different arts apply it differently.

style:wing chun

Don't try to predict the outcome of a fight. just let nature take its course.

In all reality, Chinese martial arts have used the principle of fajing for centuries. Check out the latest issue of the asian journal of martial arts. I could be mistaken, but I believe Bruce Lee demonstrated the one inch punch at a Karate competition. Not to bash Karate, of course.

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog."