• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes and not really.

It is a demonstration of body mechanics, not really a "functional" technique.

It can be used for demos, as a training aid, etc. And it can improve your punching mechanics, but it is not something you're really going to use against a person.

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

This was one of Bruce Lee's famous punches, that and the three-inch punch. He could actually unseat someone from their chair from only one inch away! Sounds pretty wild. :o

Like AndrewGreen said, however, it's probably only good for demonstrations. Bruce Lee himself had to "charge up" the punch, that is, concentrate for awhile before throwing the punch. If you do that in a streetfight, you're going to either get knocked out or have your arm broken. I suppose it would be OK for a surprise attack.

Now, it's possible that Bruce used this pause to create dramatic effect and get the audience's attention, but who knows?

If you meant efficient in terms of being good for demonstrations, then yes. It's a very impressive punch, when done correctly. It's also very powerful, so whoever you're going to demonstrate on better have some serious abs...or some form of kicking shield. :)

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

This was one of Bruce Lee's famous punches, that and the three-inch punch. He could actually unseat someone from their chair from only one inch away! Sounds pretty wild. :o

Quite standard Wing Chun.

Bruce Lee himself had to "charge up" the punch, that is, concentrate for awhile before throwing the punch. If you do that in a streetfight, you're going to either get knocked out or have your arm broken.

Same can be said of any brick breaking, eh?

Yes,

What make Inch punch famous is Bruce Lee.

As monkey girl said that is only for

demonstration purpose.

Indeed, Wing Chun emphasis "Inch power"

that is generated under the smooth

tranfer of power under correct stance,

from leg, waist, back, shoulder, elbow

and then to reach the fist in the

same direction.

Power in this way can be heavy

and penetrate. :brow:

Darkness grants me pair of dark black eye,

Yet I determine to look for Brightness

To be honest , I feel that anyone who studies Wing Chun for long enough, as well as Western Boxing can learn to throw devistating short range punches, even from inches away. It's all body mechanics and being able to utilize unitary body movement. As for the technique being a "demo" tech only, I disagree, Let's say your at your last resort, someone's about to assult you , you point at his face, (which is inches away) while saying "back off", instead of recoiling your hand, you twist your hips and shoulders pull your index finger in and punch thru your target. This may not work against a skilled opponant, because to extend a limb is to give a target but it could happen.This is just my opinion.

Kai Sai Wing Chun Kung Fu, JKD, Brazilian/Dan Zan Ryu Jujitsu, Chinese Hawiian Kempo, Pressure Point/Nerve/Cavity striking, and Tai Chi.