• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

kenpo, shudokan, and aikido?

I'm kind of looking forward to learning all of these sooner or later. Do you think it's even possible to learn three martial arts, and those ones at that.

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The first two would probably conflict a bit with Aikido. To be really successful in Aikido it takes the nurturing of a specific mindset/approach to self-defense. Tension and hardness and aggression make you worse at Aikido, not better. Depending on the type of instruction the first two might be nurturing that in you while Aikido is trying to relieve you of it. I think you'd feel frequently conflicted.

However if the Kenpo and Shodukan instructors teach you the value of relaxation and softness, I guess maybe it could work. Kind of.

1st Dan Hapkido

Colored belts in Kempo and Jujitsu

It will take you a while, a couple of years, but you can do it.

You may end been better in one than in the other two.

But, its up to you, if you have all the time that i needed to learn 3 martial arts, then go ahead. As long as you are happy doing it.

IMO, Shudokan (I'm guessing is a hard style Japenese Karate?) should be OK with Kempo, especially if its offered at the same school. The instructor may combine part of the training as many Kempo styles have a Karate base.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

I do not reccomend taking aikedo. i train for brazilian jiu jitsu and the aikido guys train right before us and i go early sometimes to watch them and its just pathetic. dont waste you're time with it.

White Belt - Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

cavalera, Why would you make such a comment? That is highly disrespectful to those that DO practice Akido. I would hope that you might be more open minded in the future or at very least respectful of all arts. If you are so against all the other arts then why are you posting in General? Maybe you belong in the Jiu-Jitsu/Grappling Martial Arts Posting section. From what I have seen Aikido is a VERY impressive and fluid art. I do agree that it would be good to cross train to get some striking skills but you as a BJJ cannot critisize striking skills as all your gracies swing like girls in the ring. (last comment not meant to be disrespctful to women but you all know what I mean) :)