• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Dojo Buddies

How many of you socialize with those in your dojo outside of class?

Anyone have a real good buddy (s), .... or do you all just go train and have a separate group of friends outside from your fellow martial art students.

Reason I ask is over the years (and it's been almost 12) at my school I have met some people that have become very good friends.

Besides one of my very best friends being te owner instructor's wife, and fellow student & teacher, she is also my boss where I work. My children are friends with their children...and my children have met friends through the school.

I have seen small young students grow to become young adults and well-trained black belts. I have also seen fellow students get married, have children and have even gone to funerals for two students of the school.

Because or school is family-owned... that sense of closeness unites us all in a way and having a fellow martial artist as a close friend is kind of special :karate: :) . Do you?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely! In the 3 years I've been training, I've built some pretty strong friendships with the other instructors/assistants. We have a lot of memories together...usually stupid stuff we've done at school sleepovers (like stealing each other's pillows and then having to dogpile that person), things that have happened in class, or the shared tension at tournaments.

One of my closest buds (who's gonna join the forums) is like my little brother...we finish each other's sentences, and I swear we're telepathic sometimes. There have literally been times when we have exchanged looks and known exactly what the other was thinking.

The greatest thing about all these friends: we kick the crap out of each other. We push each other to become better martial artists, and there's no hard feelings when we fight. When we get bored, we stand around in a circle and trade punches to see who can take the most :lol:

As I've said before, there's just something about getting kicked in the face with no hard feelings that makes you go all warm and fuzzy inside :lol:

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

I have been without a martial arts family for 3 years now :bawling: ! I have truely missed my ma buddies (more than my other friends) and got "sad" when reading a ma mag or watching ma's on tv. I have recently found a new ma "family" and am looking forward to making new friends and getting back into dojo life :D !!!!

You never know how much you care about something (or someone) until it isn't there anymore!

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

One of my new found buddies is Heidi. We haven't hung out yet, but she is a nice person, and she is part of our dojang (three schools in all) family now. She has givin me new "light" on my school, too. Thanks again, Heidi ;)

I do have other good friends in the dojang. People I like to pair up with because we work good together. Or we stay after class to help each other.

But I don't go out much. Except in the summer. One of my instructors is related to my boss (cousins)! How weird is that LOL.

Laurie F

My "dojo buddies" are the best. We encourage each other (in class & in personal life). We go critique all the new martial arts movies together. It makes tournaments a lot easier. When we have to travel, we'll share rides, split hotel rooms. That is the greatest thing about tournaments. Seeing all my old friends from other schools. Our association has over 200 schools across the U.S. and schools in England. We have 3 national and 2 regional tournaments a year. I love getting to the hotel before the tournament and seeing all the familiar faces. I hope to visit the England schools in the next couple of years.

1st Degree Black Belt

TaeKwonDo

Many of my old training partners, as well as my old instructor, are as close to one another now as we were back in the day when we worked out together. Although we are all separated by distance or states, we still keep in touch and when we see each other it's like time has stood still.

In my new system of Kempo, we have the feeling of being one big family. Last November, I traveled to Montana for a big promotion and seminar. It allowed me the opportunity to meet with others in the system, and I can say that I was welcomed with open arms, even though we've never met before.

This aspect of a martial arts family is just as important to me as my training. :)

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

Pacificshores, that makes me want to cry :bawling: Ha! I can say that because he and I have been training on and off since around 1982! As a matter of fact, I will be drivning the 5 hours to see him this weekend for training! So ya, when I think of it....the people I have stayed in contact with the longest(15 years or more) are the buddies i made in my training. Those bonds were forged together with blood, sweat, trust, and a lot of eating after the work outs :lol: They are some of the most important people in my life aside from my own family.

"The more we change, the more we stay the same"