• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

26 kata in shotokan

Valn

Here is the official ****o Ryu Tournament List. We have about ten more unofficial:

****O-RYU KATAS

1. Jitte 22.Naifanchin Shodan

2. Jion 23.Naifanchin Nidan

3. Jiin 24.Naifanchin Sandan

4. Matsukaze 25.Aoyagi (Seiryu)

5. Wanshu 26. Jyuroku

6. Rohai 27. Nipaipo

7. Bassai Dai 28. Sanchin

8. Bassai Sho 29. Tensho

9. Tomari Bassai 30.Seipai

10. Matsumura Bassai 31.Sanseiru

11. Kosokun Dai 32. Saifa

12. Kosokun Sho 33.Shisochin

13. Kosokun Shiho 34.Kururunfa

14. Chinto 35. Suparimpei

15. Chinte 36. Hakucho

16. Seienchin 37. Pachu

17. Sochin 38. Heiku

18. Niseishi 39. Paiku

19. Gojushiho 40. Annan

20. Unshu 41. Annanko

21. Seisan 42. Papuren

43.Chatanyara Kushanku

"Never hit a man while he's down; kick him, its easier"

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kareteka I am almost glad there are not 50 kata in my style. I would most certainly never remember them. I struggle enough to remember the ones I do know. And there are some I will allways struggle with to do well.

For me I love the allure of learning a new kata but I also love the struggle to do one over and over in the strugle to do it well.

I to am student of ****o ryu karate (motobu ha ). Yes there are at least 50 kata as well as kobudo kata . I have been studing for about 16 yrs and you have to really break the kata down dont just run it but understand it with the bunkai applications . I love kata the history and the techniques . hope this helps .

Karate is not a sport , it is a way of life .

Sandan Motobu ha Shi-to ryu karate

Katsu ryu kempo

Ryukyu kobudo

We seem to have a lot in common Ronryu. I have been spending a lot of time doing research since I have had internet access.

Many katas I work on segments of over and over. It totaly mystifies the kids when I am warming up before class.

It is funny how people think of kata as just exercises. The lateral thinking people think of it as a battle with other enemies. I always thought of it as a battle within yourself, not others.

"Never hit a man while he's down; kick him, its easier"

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

• 4 months later...

Tekki are the most important. IMO....

Tekki are full of breaks and ground defense.

I have read that Funakoshi himself stressed that the Tekki kata should all be taught and used more than the others.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

And so many under value the tekki katas. Most of what I have done with them I have had to do on my own.

One thing that was a real revalation to me was the idea that any time you hit a kosa dachi (cross footed stance) in kata in can symbolize a turn even when there is not turn at that point in the kata.

Think about it. Look at some one do a militairy about face command. Watch it done on 2 counts. Do it and bend the knees on the first count - what are you doing?

Funakoshi dedicated himself to the Tekkis exclusively for 10 years. That is why in SKA we honor them so much. In addition, in SKA, we only practice 19 Kata. These are the 19 that Funakoshi outlines in Karate Do Kyohan. If Funakoshi says that those 19 will teach you all that you need to know...that's good enough for me.

On 2002-04-06 23:36, G95champ wrote:

Tekki are the most important. IMO....

Tekki are full of breaks and ground defense.

I have read that Funakoshi himself stressed that the Tekki kata should all be taught and used more than the others.

Daniel

Shodan with Shotokan Karate of America

Kata is life long training. I have been training constantly for over 28 years now. Do I think theres too many Kata?

No I dont at all. As for remembering them, what you learn with pain you never forget.

These days I take a Kata and spend 2 years dedicated to that exclusively (outside the Dojo).

The 3 Tekki Kata are quite different. Never judge a book by its cover.

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

The Tekki when done right are very nice. So quick and so strong. I think they look better than any kata we have.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."