• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Issue with belt rank.

Hey Valn, I agree with the others...sounds like a McDojo. If it were any other place I would say your Sensei made you wait to check out your character and committment, then would let you advance at your pace. At this point I would be questioning HIS character and committment!

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand all your thoughts about the "McDojo"<---hilarious, anyways, I attend National Karate in OKC lead by Jim Butin. Over the last few years, we've been ranked in the top 25 karate schools in North america and the flying through the belts occurs here too!! Now, for this school to have such a good rep, why does this occur? Money and Favoritizm are my thoughts. I've been at my school for about a year and I am almost ready to test for blue, and there are people that have been there for 5-6 months who are ready for purple! Whats a few private lessons gonna do compaired to 5 more months of training. They will be surprized when its time to test for higher belts and they wont be able to pass due to there lack of traning!

#1"The road to tae kwan leep is an endless road leading into the herizon, you must fully understand its ways". #2"but i wanna wax the walls with people now" #1"come ed gruberman, your first lesson is here.....boot to the head" #2"ouch, you kicked me in the head", #1"you learn quickly ed gruberman"

1. don't put so much stock in a rank. the reason you pointed out is exactly the reason why you shouldn't.

2. you are moving fast too, IMO. In BJJ, it's not uncommon for a person to be a white belt for a year. I was in longfist kung fu for four years, and only reached blue sash before I moved to bjj. in my style of longfist, blue was only the fourth rank.

5-6 months for a purple belt!?!? That's insane!

At my club we don't have purple belts, but it takes about 3 years to get a brown belt, and another 2-3 to get your black belt from there.

22 years old

Shootwrestling

Formerly Wado-Kai Karate

it sounds a bit silly that they've given the person a purple belt in 5-6 months

but i think you shouldn't worry about them.

Their belt symbolizes nothing - your belt symbolizes months and months of hard work.

What do you mean by overnight classes? what like 4 hour classes? we sometimes like once every 6 months have a seminar in which you can grade - the seminar goes for 4 classes (4 x 1.5 hour sessions)

I have to agree with what the others are saying.

Belts = Nothing

Its more based on what you know, and what you know can do.

Someone told me once that Belts don't show expirence, they only show the money you payed for them.

-Boxer Scott

• Boxing
  • Iwama Aikido

Yep 5-6 months, this is due to sucking up and a few private lessons. You all have good points. Belts dont nessassarly matter. If some one wants to take a few private lessons and then test right after that for there belt then let them. But in a few months when we, the ones who train hard still remember what weve learned and the users of the fast lane of belt progression dont, then that will be there fault.

#1"The road to tae kwan leep is an endless road leading into the herizon, you must fully understand its ways". #2"but i wanna wax the walls with people now" #1"come ed gruberman, your first lesson is here.....boot to the head" #2"ouch, you kicked me in the head", #1"you learn quickly ed gruberman"

But in a few months when we, the ones who train hard still remember what weve learned and the users of the fast lane of belt progression dont, then that will be there fault.

Well, for their sakes, they'd better train like crazy both at home and at the dojo so that doesn't happen, or (assuming the standards increase as they increase in rank), they will be on a fast track right out the door when they stop progressing so quickly.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

in the past few years a lot of organisations have went to a system where you are required so many hours of training to be eligible for promotion, it looks good on paper but like anything else it s always just a matter of time before someone sees a way to water it down just to make more money from it.