• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Issue with belt rank.

That's to bad about the belt thing, but what's really important is if your teacher is really teaching sound techniques and you're learning a lot. Don't worry too much about the belt, if you feel your teacher is good, then talk to him, he may need someone like you to bring this kind of thing to his attention. If that doesn't work, than go to another school. I know how you feel, I've been through the same thing, it stinks. But like any good student, study hard outside of class, and in the end, belt or not, you will have the better training. Sometimes belts stifle your training because you feel you've reach a certain level. I've heard of teachers passing students up to black because they didn't want them to learn, because of their bad attitude. So maybe it's a good thing, or maybe not.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I won't train under anyone who makes their living off martial arts. I want an instructor who teaches because they love it, not to make a buck. I have always gone with a MA offered at the local college or YMCA. Those guys just make enough to pay the rent and maybe some training with their instructor.

"There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change; it is, 'To use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time.' " Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

not to really criticise you valn

but i was thinking

4 months in any karate style isn't really all that big when moving to another style - maybe if you'd done a year of it?

four months might not be alot, but if the other guy went up two belts in that time, it must be something in this style.

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

"Imagine you go to an all night work out for $50 and the next day you received a belt promotion.

Does this sound fair to you?

This makes me very upset and I completely lost faith in my dojo.

Basically you are simply buying your new belt. "

if i had a club with my own devised syyalbus then, yes i do think that is fair, but the belt promtion would only be for the first belt only, as this would encourage and influence them to carry on with the club training for the next belts.

for the next belts more training time like 2-3 months would be needed. i dont think its buying your belt because the student works to achieve it and if they are really ready that quick then i think it is fair, but more time would be required for the next belts. and ofcourse the black belt would be the longest.

At my school they do go by a # of classes on a card that need to be filled for progression, but its not followed. The instructor states that if you think your ready to test then you can, unless its for red or black, then there are limitations. After my membership is up at this school, im going to go looking for another school.

#1"The road to tae kwan leep is an endless road leading into the herizon, you must fully understand its ways". #2"but i wanna wax the walls with people now" #1"come ed gruberman, your first lesson is here.....boot to the head" #2"ouch, you kicked me in the head", #1"you learn quickly ed gruberman"

I take Ji Do Kwan TKD from a 70 yr. old instructor at a local YMCA. Our system of rank is yellow, green, blue, red (3 gups) and black. I have been studying about a year and a half and have reached blue and am getting ready to test for red. We have a minimum rule of 3 month between the gup tests, so would be six month minimum for black after attaining red, but I am yet to hear of anyone doing that in under a year. We have a pretty small class and I love it that way, but there is never any pressure for promotions. When you feel ready, you approach the master and ask when you can test (date wise). If he thinks you aren't ready he'll usually tell you. All of us in the adult class are older as well, I'm the youngest at 28. Some of the guys have taken 7 yrs + to reach black, and I have the utmost respect for that. Now in the junior class which I also attend, the kids tend to move up a little faster and the GrandMaster who presides over it tends to be a little more money driven which is sad. Hate to hear about schools being run that way, but I guess it all comes down to how you feel about it. I agree that everyone should feel that they have earned their rank and be comfortable with the requirements before advancing. :)

I would love to have a teacher who was privatly taught and could privatly teach me and who isn't money or fame driven.

#1"The road to tae kwan leep is an endless road leading into the herizon, you must fully understand its ways". #2"but i wanna wax the walls with people now" #1"come ed gruberman, your first lesson is here.....boot to the head" #2"ouch, you kicked me in the head", #1"you learn quickly ed gruberman"

In Kiyojute Ryu(The system i train in) we have our test in december,and june.If you have not accumilated 50 hours for a kyu rank,or 100 or more for a dan rank,you don,t test..its that simple.i think that the overnight training for a belt is a bunch of garbage.That nice piece of cloth around your waist does not mean a thing if you you do not have the knowledge and training behind it...its that simple..keep in mind to those of you that are in a Mcdojo,that your knowledge,time,and training makes you worthy to wear that belt..not a overnight session 50 bucks later and free pizza afterwards..this is just MHO.If some of you are involved in a Mcdojo..i strongly suggest finding a new dojo..it seems that all your instructor cares about is your money..not your as a individual and your training.I also think that handing out belts left and right is disrespecting the martial arts,and giving us as martial artist a bad name.The belt system in Kiyojute Ryu is White,Yellow,Green,3rd Brown,2nd Brown,1st Brown..then after 100 or more hours as a 1st brown,or a year..we have a pretest to demostrate to our Soke all of our techniques for each belt..then we have the major test showing him the Shodan techniques for the oppertunity to EARN our Black Belt..all in all i would say to become a Black Belt in Kiyojute Ryu..it takes about 3 and a half years IF you don,t fail any of your test and train hard.

3rd Kyu Brown Belt

To learn more about Kiyojute Ryu Kempo Bugei,goto http://www.kiyojuteryu.org/

• 1 month later...
When I took jujutsu it was white yellow orange green blue brown black - it still took 5 years to get black though. My buddies it TKD were getting a new belt every 4 months - and it was killing me. :x I am take 7 star mantis now and its white yellow green black sash - about 1-2 years a sash - its different without the rewards - but it weeds out the trophy seekers i think.

Empty your mind, be formless,

shapeless--like water.