• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Issue with belt rank.

Imagine you go to an all night work out for $50 and the next day you received a belt promotion.

Does this sound fair to you?

This makes me very upset and I completely lost faith in my dojo.

Basically you are simply buying your new belt.

To be more specific.

Belt rank in my dojo: white, yellow, orange, blue, green, purple, brown, brown black stripe, red, and black belt.

-I did four months of Kyokushin karate and then moved on to goju ryu karate.

-I started goju ryu in my dojo september 2 2000 and I am a blue belt.

-I go to my dojo 4-5 times a week and I practice everyday at home.

In conclusion, I moved up in rank every four months.

On the other hand another guy at my dojo started in november and that was his first martial art ever.

-He is now a purple belt.

-He shows up 1-2 times a week

-He did two all night work out and moved up a belt everytime.

In conclusion,every two months he moved a rank.

The bottom line is that I think it is totally unfair and it makes the whole idea of belt useless.

I would appreciate your feedbacks.

Thanks.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should ask your "sensei" if the all night sessions come with fries and a coke. Sometimes a student will learn quicker than other students, but I feel that it makes all the other students feel cheated if one person moves faster than the others. Now there are always exceptions, like if a person from another school starts at white-belt just as a trial and then moves up quickly to a level that he is already trained at. But these things should be made known to the other students.

In your case, though, I wouldn't doubt that there is some fast-food martial arts being served. If that's the case, it's time to find another place to train. Go up and ask the instructor why it is that this person is moving up so fast and also see if this other person is at the purple-belt skill level.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.

To be honest, I feel cheated considering my goju ryu sensei made me wait so long to get my yellow belt since I had already had four months of Kyokushin karate.

(kyokushin= shotokan +goju ryu).

I could have advanced faster if I had gone to the all night work out, but I felt it was cheating, so I never did any.

By the way, you do get free pizza if you do the all night work out.

Remeber, with the McDojo, you can Go Large* and go up two belts instead of one ® © for 30p.

*At participating Dojos only. 50p more above 3rd Kyu. Belts must be purchaced separatly. McDojo Dojos can not be held responsible for any injuries sustained.

• 3 months later...

Hey my name is Joe and I also take Goju Ryu. I think that it is a big rip off with the overnight belt promotions like that. You should attend one of the seminars and see if they are worth it. If not you should tell your sensei that what he is doing is a little unfair. :karate:

Boards don't hit back.

-Bruce Lee

The devaluation of rank is a hot topic throughout the martial arts world. The McDojo is a blight upon the martial arts world.

It is a sad thing that many see this and see all belt holders as products of such belt mills.

Is there a solution to the problem? Not as long as there are those willing to stand in line for a belt with cash to fork up.

• 1 year later...

Yep MC DOJO. Unbelievable !!! ARGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH. And we are shocked when Karate is considerred useless and BB frauds. Hmmm Go elsewhere. GO in a place one must wait more for a belt, where good instruction is available.

In many dojos in Romania you have to wait at least 6 months for a promotion, and in the case of high ranks, up to an year. And the exams are killing you. But only then you can bu sure you deserve it :karate: